Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2wd lift question

Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd lift question

I have an 07 2wd 4dr JK. I know I'm going to get some grief about having one but I couldn't afford the 4wd one. I'm still looking to wheel it but I need more lift. I'm looking for around 3" so I can avoid having to get new DS. I would really like to stay away from a BB just cause I'm looking to get a whole suspension lift. Ive looked but couldn't find out if the lifts are only made for the 4wd JKs. Any advice on lift or brands would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they're all good for 2 or 4 wheel drive jeeps. From the research I've done on the lifts I've looked at none of them modify any drive line parts.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man you are gonna get yourself a thousand or two in mods just to go out and get stuck. No grief about it... 4wd is more important than the lift hands down. I'm running stock all the way and have yet to get stuck. You don't need a lift to hit some killer terrain... You need 4wd.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WranglerJoe
Man you are gonna get yourself a thousand or two in mods just to go out and get stuck. No grief about it... 4wd is more important than the lift hands down. I'm running stock all the way and have yet to get stuck. You don't need a lift to hit some killer terrain... You need 4wd.
What would I need to go from 2wd to 4wd. I have a connection on parts so I could get them for around cost. I'm not really sure what all I would need to do the conversion.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 AM
JK Super Freak

I would maybe buy a winch before a lift. In honesty the difficulty of stuff you will be dealing with in 2wd will likely not require too much more height than stock. At least with a winch you can play with confidence. Warn just released som for around 300. Just my 2c. And as much as people will tell you 4x4 is important, which it is. You can still have a hell of allot of fun in 2wd!!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive gone a ton of places in 2wd that anyone with a 4wd truck thought would be impossible. A locker would be key if you're going to stay as a 2wd rig.

I dont know anything about going to 4wd, so ill leave that for someone that knows.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Well, let’s look at the positives here.

First with a 4D and 2WD you can get a lift such as Clayton 4.5 or other big lifts, that will get you nice and high off the ground and without that pesky front drive shaft you will have no problems staying with stock rear shaft for quite some time. That's some money saved right there.

Now with all that lift you 'could' stick some 35-37's under there easy, and upgrade your gears....but you lucky SOB you'll only have to do one axle. That saves you a ton of money also.

With the money you've saved you can get a decent winch like others have said.

Be honest with yourself about the amount and type of wheeling you will do with your Jeep and mod accordingly. If you want to mod just so you have a bad ass looking Jeep, rock it!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlounderKA
What would I need to go from 2wd to 4wd. I have a connection on parts so I could get them for around cost. I'm not really sure what all I would need to do the conversion.
I'm in the middle of converting mine and live just up I-4. Let me know if you need any help. As for the lift any brand will do. You have all the same mounts and parts minus that big masculine sack and a x-fer case.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

In the area you live in what is the resale value? I would look to upgrade to a nice used stock 4WD. Once you start wheeling you will want to do more and go out with other jeeps....you will be very limited. I would put my money into an upgrade if it was me, JMO. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen some 2wd models do some pretty insane stuff. The conversion to 4wd can actually be done on the cheap and still done correctly. You need the following:

1. A front live axle D30 geared to match D44 in rear (about $300 used if you keep a look out)
2. A transfer case (these can be picked up used pretty cheap too, $200-$500)
3. A front driveshaft (just go ahead and buy aftermarket, or pick up a free used one somewhere)
4. There is a bracket on the tranny that you will need to mate the tcase. (get it from the dealer or a junkyard.
5. I have heard that you don't absolutely have to have the ECM flashed, but probably a good idea.
6. A good jack, 2 jack stands, a good set of metric sockets, couple of good friends, a case of beer, and probably money to buy pizza for your friends. It could easily be completed in a few hours on a saturday afternoon if you have all the parts ready.

All together, you should come out well under $1500, the price of a decent lift. So which do you want? 4wd, or a lift??? Personally, I'd do the conversion, just because it will have a greater impact on your wheeling capabilities, it's easy to do, and it's fun!!!! Good luck, and enjoy it!!!

Quick Reply: 2wd lift question