Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2nd set of 37x12.5x17's which tire this time?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd set of 37x12.5x17's which tire this time?

I currently am running BFG KM2's 37's on my JKU, but I am not the biggest fan of them and dont like that they run so small.

I am consider the Nitto Trails, MTR-K's or Hankook Dynapro MT's...does anyone have any input on any of these 3 tires? I am really leaning towards the Dynapro's, but cant find much info on if they run true to size and an accurate weight on them.

I like the Nitto's look but have concerns with their weight & wear. The MTR's I go back an forth on but I have a pretty good deal for them on the table.

Its a DD, that sees trails, mud & snow in the winter, but no serious rocks.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

I have the nittos on my diesel and beat them up all the time they are a great tire the sidewall is what makes it better then the km2 in my oppinion wich means there great in the sand which is why chose them because i spend 90 percent of time at the beach. I wil be purchasing nittos for my jk soon. I have 35's and my friend has 37's unlike km2 the size diff is obvious. Weight i would assume them to also be lighter then km2 overall both are good tires but when you factor it all in i chose nittos.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

ran the nitto trail grappler m/ts for 15k. they are great and they were well over half tread when I replaced them with the mud grapplers. I would have done the trails again but they dont make a 37x18 only 37x17 my trails were 35s.

Go trails... they are very strong mine took major abuse and no problems with wear or anything else
Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

A friend of mine also recommended the STT's, but I have never been a big Cooper fan myself.

Thanks for the input so far.....

No one with the Hankook's? Everywhere I read really good reviews, but rarely see them on Jeeps.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
MTR/K would be my choice. In fact I am waiting for them to become available again. Tire rack says 7/09/11 for ship date. They are very close to advertised size, lighter then most other 37's and the reviews I have read place them as the top all around tire. Some have had issues with balancing but who doesn't at that size of mt. They are also running an $80 rebate right now.
I've had my mtr-kevlars since last summer and after 10k miles, these have been the best tire investment I've ever made. I still have 80% tread, they are quiet on the highway and hook up like a dream off road. As far as balancing??? I have never had problems, even after switching to a beadlocks a few months ago.

Last edited by jctnt1; 06-22-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by trickzr4kidz
Weight i would assume them to also be lighter then km2 overall both are good tires but when you factor it all in i chose nittos.
I love my Nittos also, but they are not even close to being lighter than the KM2. In fact my 35" Trail Grapplers at close to 80lbs each weigh more than a 37" KM2 or MTR/k which are both under 75 lbs according to DTD.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered 37" mtr's can't wait for them to come in.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

No one with any experience w/ the Hankook's?

Thank you for all the input on the MTR-K. All extremely positive reviews.....
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my research the Nitto trail grapplers have great reviews as well as great tread life with more true to size 37's (only downside might be the weight - being more heavier). If I didn't get such a good deal on my BFG's I would have saved up for the grapplers.

Sent you a PM
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

About 2 years ago my son got a new Dodge Ram and put a set of Toyo Open Country M/T on and it just turned over 100,000 miles. Said he was going to try to make the summer before he got another set.

I have the same tires on my 4 Runner and Jeep and couldn't be any happier with them.

Quick Reply: 2nd set of 37x12.5x17's which tire this time?