Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2DR Stretch Questions/Help

Old 11-24-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringer
One thing to note is that Dirtman and everyone who replied after him all have custom stretched two doors.
Which is why their advice would be taken serious before I do anything. I mean if i can get my hands on a buggy with a killer deal, then that solves all of this. Although I'm not sure I will, but who knows.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is by no means a bad direction to go. The issue is that a stretched two door is so capable that you find yourself running mug harder trails. At that point, in combination with the amount of work it takes, it makes a buggy a good option. You also have to remember that those who've responded also do all our own custom fab work.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I am glad to help where I can if you decide to go that route or help with putting to gather a plan. If you are ever in the area let me know and I can show you around the stretched jeep and what is involved in it. I think you are about 9 hours from me. You can also check out my build thread on others that have posted to see just what is involved. I did my own work and I think the jeep was down for around 3 months over one winter. Waiting on parts was a big part of the wait as I did axles and transfer case at the same time.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

As ringer said i dont regret it, but it makes it very capable and to the point it became less practical so to speak as my dd. A buggy cant take a beating and less if a care when rolled and I'd have kept a dd. If you do it in stages im sure wed all help out. I feel its a pretty safe assumption to say that after we all did ours, wed do it different/a few tweaks if we did it again. Whatever route you need just post up. These are the builds we like watching most.

Agree with what invest said below also. I got alot of help from the guys on here hell mines finally driveable after like a year but still not done... I had never worked on a vehicle or welded or even used a grinder much before my build.. That first cut into the body i was o **** im an idiot...

Last edited by Maertz; 11-26-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

What these guys said. I suggest taking a couple hours and reading four build threads. Mine, Ringer, Dirtman, and Maertz. Ringer and Dirtman are on the JK Freaks site. As mentioned, we all did our own work. All used a double triangulated rear suspension. And while similar, they are all very different. There is a ton of labor involved. I easily have over 400 hours into my build. I was down for closer to 9 months (but my build was a weekend only project). And all of the above people gave me a lot of help through the process. I'd have been screwed otherwise.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I'm going to start reading into those build threads. I have found all of them except dirtman

Im going to start saving up money for parts, ask you guys a bunch of questions, sell a bunch of crap in the house, then start to figure out whats going to happen. Im still going to run down to the Dixie 4 Wheel Drive guys and talk to them as well. I just know they are busy with LS3 swaps right now.

Happy Thanksgiving guys.

Last edited by mhockey9090; 11-26-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Yeah I'm going to start reading into those build threads. I have found all of them except dirtman

Im going to start saving up money for parts, ask you guys a bunch of questions, sell a bunch of crap in the house, then start to figure out whats going to happen. Im still going to run down to the Dixie 4 Wheel Drive guys and talk to them as well. I just know they are busy with LS3 swaps right now.

Happy Thanksgiving guys.
No problem man. And dirts is like cough cough level 4 build or something id have to look it up again. Im sure he will post it up
Old 11-26-2015, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Yeah I'm going to start reading into those build threads. I have found all of them except dirtman Im going to start saving up money for parts, ask you guys a bunch of questions, sell a bunch of crap in the house, then start to figure out whats going to happen. Im still going to run down to the Dixie 4 Wheel Drive guys and talk to them as well. I just know they are busy with LS3 swaps right now. Happy Thanksgiving guys.
The Dixie guys had a very nice build at SEMA. One of the better JK's there.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ringer
The Dixie guys had a very nice build at SEMA. One of the better JK's there.
Yeah they did. I'm going to wheel with them this weekend out here in Sand Hollow more than likely. Although I'm trying to just hop inside that rig they brought out to SEMA.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The time has come.....TheDirtmans level 4 build...Ha!...ha!....ha!...cough!...cough!!
start on page 32

Quick Reply: 2DR Stretch Questions/Help