Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2DR Stretch Questions/Help

Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2DR Stretch Questions/Help

Im looking for more insight on stretching the rear. I don't have the ability to do this on my own, but will do what I can to help save the cost on some things if need be. I was looking at the Synergy kit that stretches the rear 8 inches. Is this a good amount of stretch for the rear? I currently have the RK 2.5 X Factor lift. Would it be an issue running a long arm in the rear and short arm up front? I will be getting rid of my rear bumper and selling it to put money towards a different one. Eventually my stock axles will be replaced with D60s, coilovers, and what not. I know it would be worthless to get coilovers unless I were to have an inboard or outboard setup with them. Im newer to the stretch world, but I want to make my jeep more capable and have the ability to wheel in more places like these 4 doors do. Although not get hung up in areas they would as my wheelbase would not be as long as theirs.

What all am I looking at getting myself into?

I just don't have the money to pull the stretch, coilovers, ultimate 60s, and upgraded wheels all at once.

Thanks for the replies and hopefully I don't get flamed to much.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi

And 8" stretch is pretty decent in the rear of a 2 door. Seems pretty common for most people the build a custom set up. I think c4lo used that exact kit for his. I think i stretched closer to 12" but would like to drop the rear to say 10" and move my front more. Im not sure how much that kit is, but are you having a shop install or what? If so id debate getting a quote on a full custom set up if theres a decent shop there. Long arm rear and short up front doesnt really make much difference, jk arms are not short like tjs were. I dont have experience with that kit, but know most guys who went custom moved there fuel cell and such. At 8" i think your axle will be just in front of your storage tub
Old 11-24-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
And 8" stretch is pretty decent in the rear of a 2 door. Seems pretty common for most people the build a custom set up. I think c4lo used that exact kit for his. I think i stretched closer to 12" but would like to drop the rear to say 10" and move my front more. Im not sure how much that kit is, but are you having a shop install or what? If so id debate getting a quote on a full custom set up if theres a decent shop there. Long arm rear and short up front doesnt really make much difference, jk arms are not short like tjs were. I dont have experience with that kit, but know most guys who went custom moved there fuel cell and such. At 8" i think your axle will be just in front of your storage tub
Yeah I have a well known shop here who can build rigs, Dixie 4 Wheel Drive. Synergy has two different kits for that stretch with one being $1600, but I'm not going to run coilovers and don't need the coilover setup they have coming with that. Ill run by them today and see if they have installed one of these kits before. I know they are working on a full custom 2 door stretch, LS3, and all the bells and whistles build right now. Hopefully we can get a better idea as to what we can get going for it.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Its really not a good idea to try that much stretch on a half ass budget as you will be doing things over as you add components that will just run up the price. You are best to determine everything you want, map it out, and start saving. You may be better off just building a buggy as you can easily have the amount of a new jeep wrapped up in such a set up not to mention the time it takes to actually do it. If you are paying a shop to do it the $1600 you mentioned for a kit is just a drop in the bucket.

I would agree with Mertz as well and stretch the front as well with the 8" in the rear will give you some awesome approach angles. I am 8"-9" in the rear and about 3" up front. Fuel cell and double triangulated is the route to go.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Agree with what is said. Stretch the front too. Do it once and do it right.

More than anything, don't do it and build a buggy. Or, buy mine and then I will build a buggy like I should have in the first place.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

More than anything, don't do it and build a buggy. Or, buy mine and then I will build a buggy like I should have in the first place.
I feel the same way on the buggy...
Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
I feel the same way on the buggy...
Yep. If someone made a legit offer on my Jeep, it would be gone.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with what is said. Stretch the front too. Do it once and do it right. More than anything, don't do it and build a buggy. Or, buy mine and then I will build a buggy like I should have in the first place.
Very well said. I agree, and a buggy is next.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Its really not a good idea to try that much stretch on a half ass budget as you will be doing things over as you add components that will just run up the price. You are best to determine everything you want, map it out, and start saving. You may be better off just building a buggy as you can easily have the amount of a new jeep wrapped up in such a set up not to mention the time it takes to actually do it. If you are paying a shop to do it the $1600 you mentioned for a kit is just a drop in the bucket.

I would agree with Mertz as well and stretch the front as well with the 8" in the rear will give you some awesome approach angles. I am 8"-9" in the rear and about 3" up front. Fuel cell and double triangulated is the route to go.

Unfortunately I think a buggy it outside of my knowledge as far as doing the build myself. I would end up having to keep paying someone else to do things if the build were to start from scratch. Being military doesn't help when I have to move every 3 years as it is. I guess one of the routes would be to look at buggies that are already complete and leave my Jeep as it to tow it, which I don't even think ill feel safe towing that lol.

Something like this I guess (first thing I found near me)

ROCK CRAWLER, ROCK BUGGY, KOH CAR, MUD BOGGER

Lets just say I were to continue to go through with the 2 DR stretch option in stages. What would be the best route to go as far as building that in stages? Or is that still not a good option to do?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to note is that Dirtman and everyone who replied after him all have custom stretched two doors.

Quick Reply: 2DR Stretch Questions/Help