Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

295s, stock rims, spacers, and shipping problems....

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 295s, stock rims, spacers, and shipping problems....

So here's the situation....

I got new 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers and 1.5" Spydertrax spacers so that I can run the tires on my Stock 18" Sahara rims. I am installing the TF Level kit on Friday and have the tires getting mounted on the rims Friday as well....

so here's the problem. I ordered the spacers, and they won't be here until Tuesday. Should I put the whole install on hold until I have everything? I already have the help/tools lined up for Friday.

Would it be ok to install the lift, and mount and throw the tires on there and run without spacers from Fri-Tuesday? Just not turn the tires full turns for the few days? I wouldn't be doing any trails or anything, just regular driving for a few days to get me through the holiday weekend until the spacers come in. I could put the spacers on when they get shipped to me on Tuesday. Just worried for the few days....

Thoughts on rubbing?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would say you would be okay to go that long without the spacers. Easy on the turns and you will be good to go.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you're taking your new tires to a tire shop then call ahead and see if they'll put tires on you JK with wheel spacers. I have heard the some tire shop will not install tires that have wheel spacers on the vehicle.

When I get my new tires this spring I'm going to have to call around to find a place that will install with the wheel spacers on. Or else I'll have to have the new tires installed then take them off to install spacers.

Tire shops can be such a pain.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to look around for a shop that will install wheels with spacers. Most chain tire stores won't because of legal liability issues. You may have to get the tires mounted and balanced at the shop, drive home without the spacers (carefully) then put on the spacers at home. Just have someone turn the wheel while you look underneath and make sure you aren't getting any sidewall to sharp metal or bolt contact anywhere with the leveling kit.

Last edited by armycop; 11-23-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

I'm having a small tire shop mount the tires for me, I'm going to install the spacers at home myself. I was just wondering if I'd be ok with no spacers for a few days while I wait for them to come in.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you pull off the plastic air dam underneath and don't turn full lock you should be fine for a little while.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

that's what I figured, but I just wanted some more opinions.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

You'll be good. Just as others have said, take turns easy and throw them spacers on and take pics as soon as they get in!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue. All good for a few days just don't turn sharp. I have the same tires and rims on mine. I used a 1.25 spacer and had to trim front air dam. Nothing else rubs and 95% of tire is under stock fender. Looks good
Old 11-23-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2010sahara
I had the same issue. All good for a few days just don't turn sharp. I have the same tires and rims on mine. I used a 1.25 spacer and had to trim front air dam. Nothing else rubs and 95% of tire is under stock fender. Looks good
cool, that's good to hear. thanks

Quick Reply: 295s, stock rims, spacers, and shipping problems....