Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

285/75R16 on factory wheels

Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 285/75R16 on factory wheels

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I'm on my blackberry and can't really search all that well. I am considering putting my stock steel wheels back on my Jeep and use the tires I have now which are 285/75R16 (about 11.2" wide I think). I'm curious if anyone is running this size on the stock 16's and if it rubs...I know it would probably be close.

I currently have the RC 3.25" kit with the rear sway bar links mounted on the outside closest to the tire...that's my main concern.

Any thoughts before I have the shop do the swap?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know the answer to your question, but my tire guy said 265/75 where the biggest tires you could put on the stock 16s. That's what I have. He said the 285 can very easily come off.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, dont have the answer to your question, but had a look at your pics as you mentioned you had the 3.25" RC kit, ive got the 2.5" coil / shock kit on now and wondering whether to get the body lift aswell, looking at your pics, I LIKE IT
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 285/75r16s on the stock wheels. Minimal rub when turning and front end is compressed. Also very slight rub on the inside wheel wells on articulation. I don't air down below 12 psi since the rim is on the narrow side for the tires and I don't want to pop a bead.

So, very slight rubbing with my 2.5 lift but it is livable.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same setup you're describing...stock wheels with 285/75/16 and bone stock it rubs at full extension. Once I put the 2.5" coil lift and new shocks, no more rub.

It's not an issue if you don't plan on anything where you either do some heavy off roading or you are in town and need some tight turning radius...I will say, though, that since the lift, it's really nice not to have to worry about whether I'm about to hit the limit on my turn!

Pics are before the lift and after. Tires are Firestone Destination MTs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Side.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	29907   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Side.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	29908  
Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks everyone, I'm still undecided as of right now though...my Cragar's are really hard to get balanced right and I figured instead of buying more wheels I could just throw my stock steelies back on. I'm gonna take a look at everything tomorrow when it's daylight and I can see better...my main concerns are the rear sway bar links like I mentioned and also the front swaybar links when they are disconnected and in the stowed position (Teraflex).

Thanks again! I will post pics if I do get them swapped over.

Quick Reply: 285/75R16 on factory wheels