Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

285/75/17 on stock wheels and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers

Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutter Bay
That is my fear. I don't want to wish I'd gone a different route after the fact. If I'm spending the money, I want to only spend it once.
And this is the best lesson learned on this forum. I took 2 months before buying anything. Read that advise on here and took it to heart.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

For close to 10 years, I've driven a Z-71 getting about 16 MPG. I'm at a different stage in my life now. I have 2 small children, and a wife. I've basically ceased my old hobby other than going with friends now and then. I wanted to get a jeep to go to the natural springs, beach, and nature trails in Florida as a family. I not only view this Jeep as my daily driver, but also as a tool to use spending time with my family. I have been getting about 20 MPG, but can nurse out up to 23 MPG if driven with ease. That is hard for me to do, as I like staying in the gas pedal. When thinking of mods, I want it to make the JKU look good, but it also needs to be efficient and reliable. I won't be mud bogging this Jeep, but don't want to be afraid to press on when riding the woods. I am a huge outdoorsman, and don't intend to give up my love of the woods. For years, I have been an avid hog hunter. I have bred, trained, and hunted big-game blueticks. Now, as a family we have a nice young chocolate lab mix. He loves the kids, and I look forward to him tagging along. It is very important to me that my family enjoy the jeep with me. The fact is, 20 MPG is a lot nicer on the wallet than 16. That is the biggest reason I struggle with a lift.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... The fact is, 20 MPG is a lot nicer on the wallet than 16. That is the biggest reason I struggle with a lift.

Yeah, well you can throw the 20MPG out the window if you put even a small lift and 34's on. Guarantee it.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by olyelr

Yeah, well you can throw the 20MPG out the window if you put even a small lift and 34's on. Guarantee it.
With my lift, bumpers skids and 34" tires I'm lucky to get 16 and thats using my superchips programmer. Truth is that know one buys a jeep for gas mileage. Jack it up and mod it out! You only live once and can't take it with you!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Newbie

How about you other Jeepers running the 34's? Specs on motor, lift (style of lift as well), gears, and transmission, what MPG are you getting on a daily basis?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Anything? Please help, as I'm ready to buy just need to narrow it down.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

From what I gather from the OP is that this jeep will be used to run some dirt roads and in not really concerned with doing any real hard trails. He is adding a heavy bumper and winch so he will loose some clearance up front. He is goint to a 34" tire so he will need about 1" of extra clearance up front. The OP is wanting to keep the jeep as low as possible to keep the factory ride and minimize loss of mpg.

I have a question, do you load the jeep up for the trails with heavy gear? IF so how much extra are you carrying back there? Are you hauling pigs out from your hunting trips? Is the family generally with you?

Barring the extra weight questions on the rear. Even though I do not like to give out specific recommendations, in this case I think I would do an OME no load coil paired with a set of their Nitro Sport shocks that are within 0"-2" of the factory compressed length. You will need bump stop extentions that are around 1"-1.5". Once the front has been installed and settled out over a couple of weeks add a coil spacer of your choice in the rear to get the desired rake. If you find the rear is needing 2" or more in spacer I would add the no load rear coils. You will want some longer sway bar links up front, either get some JKS quicker disconnects for the 0-2" range or get some extended rear links and move the rear ones to the front.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

How about you other Jeepers running the 34's? Specs on motor, lift (style of lift as well), gears, and transmission, what MPG are you getting on a daily basis?
2014 jkur with aev 2" lift and 285/75-17 toyos at2's on stock rims with spidertrax spacers 4.10 gears and automatic winch on stock bumper and hard top. around 16mpg around town 18-20mpg on highway. used a procal to calibrate speedo/odometer and the are spot on per 2 garmin gps and a phone speedo app. I disregard the evic mpg and figure every fill up by hand ie miles driven by gallons taken. I do a bit worse in winter with winter blend fuel.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Dirtman,

I do have an aluminum hitch plug in cargo carrier that I will load a few hogs on from time to time. I have 2 children in car seats, and there will be times that the family will be riding in the wilderness with me. As far as cargo, I do keep hitch and tow strap, general emergency items in the rear. I have a pack rat storage that will fit back there, but have never installed it, as it is super heavy. Thank you for the input.

Josh
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
2014 jkur with aev 2" lift and 285/75-17 toyos at2's on stock rims with spidertrax spacers 4.10 gears and automatic winch on stock bumper and hard top. around 16mpg around town 18-20mpg on highway. used a procal to calibrate speedo/odometer and the are spot on per 2 garmin gps and a phone speedo app. I disregard the evic mpg and figure every fill up by hand ie miles driven by gallons taken. I do a bit worse in winter with winter blend fuel.
Thank you. That is exactly the info I am needing to finalize my decision.

Regards,
Josh

Quick Reply: 285/75/17 on stock wheels and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers