Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

285/70R17 on Stock Tires - No Rub???

Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 285/70R17 on Stock Tires - No Rub???

I just put 285/70R17 tires on my stock 2010 Rubi wheels (a bit over 11" wide). Technically, these "should" rub according to several posts on here and other forums. I have no factory airdam, so no worries there, and I'm able to crank the wheel hard left/right to the limit, and am not noticing anything in the way of rubbing. Yes, the rear tires come pretty close to the rear swaybar, but no rubbing...

Am I probably safe then? I'm going to try and go wheeling this weekend to put it to the real test disconnected up front, but wondering if anyone has gotten away with this setup using no spacers.

If spacers are an absolute must at this size, what's the minimum thickness recommended, assuming I want to go with the thinnest ones possible? I'm leaning toward Spidertrax since they have great reviews on here, which I suppose puts me in the 1.5" minimum category, but if there's a good thinner one out there, maybe that would be better...

Any info/opinions are appreciated!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same size tire on my 2012 2dr with no spacers and i wheel all the time no problem your good to go.
Mine are nitto trail grapplers. It just rubs a little at full turn on the control arm other than that its the perfect size for that rim without having to use wheel spacers.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe faria
I have the same size tire on my 2012 2dr with no spacers and i wheel all the time no problem your good to go.
Mine are nitto trail grapplers. It just rubs a little at full turn on the control arm other than that its the perfect size for that rim without having to use wheel spacers.
Just the response I was hoping for! It seems there's a misconception out there about this size tire... No spacers it is! Thanks bud!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

I am running the same size tire on my stockers. I have yet to rub. I go in the woods and off road and never had a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3498592463.jpg
Views:	1646
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	355643  
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

What tire are you running. I'm going to try Duratracs or the Kelly version I think. Since each type has slightly different dimensions it would be nice to get a list of which ones work with no other mods other than tire change and maybe airdam trimming/removal since that doesn't seem to bother too many prople. I have seen two that have no rubbing but one that had to have spacers. The one that needed spacers was running Swampers of some sort and the other two were Nitto and Goodyear AT's.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

This is what 285/70 R17 rubbing looks like. It is on the sway bar. I installed spacers today to fix this. '08 JKU X, no lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SBrub.jpg
Views:	2082
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	355667
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiskey_golf
This is what 285/70 R17 rubbing looks like. It is on the sway bar. I installed spacers today to fix this. '08 JKU X, no lift.

Attachment 355667
What tire was that? Was it only at full turn that can corrected with a small adjustment of the stops?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

And yes 99% of the time at full lock.

There is this one exit in Durham, NC that I use very infrequently that involves braking from highway speeds and an extreme turn that will rub. The braking loads the front suspension down and the turn gives some extra load on the driver side and that happens at less than full lock. Since I don't use that exit that often I forget and since it is at higher speed, the sound it makes causes major pucker.

I am sure adjusting the bump stop would correct it with a slight (?) loss in turn radius.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just went wheeling yesterday, and didn't notice any rub.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Which tires do you have Dave?

Quick Reply: 285/70R17 on Stock Tires - No Rub???