Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

285/70/17 and mileage

Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. I tried the gear ratio calculator that somebody posted and it told me that I should use 3.8 gearing on 285/70/17, which is pretty close to 3.73, so I was thinking I'd be ok anyway. (it's mostly flat around here anyway)

Clay
Old 06-22-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have auto and 4.10 Changed from stock tires to Cooper STT 285/70 R17. I measured the circumference on one of the stockers and compared it witn the circumference on the Cooper STT a difference of approx 3,5%.
This means that I get 3,5% further than the cars odometer shows.
I have a scangauge installed on wich I can read my MPG ( or really L/100km as thats how welike it here)
On my "testtrip" I usually get 11,9 L/100km, with the new setup I get around
12,3- 12,5L/100km. 12,3 - 3,5% is 11,86 so virtually the same not bad for a MT tire. My test trip is from town to home, not a very long trip but as I make it frequently I use it as reference.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryno
You are correct. Tire size and axle ratio go hand in hand. When you change your tire size you are effectively changing the overall gear ratio of your axles... That's why Jeep pairs 29" tires with 3.21 gears, and 32" tires with 3.73s or 4.10s, without a significant difference in fuel economy.

Given the same engine RPMs, lower gears will move your vehicle slower than higher gears.

If you took two identical Jeeps--except one with 4.10s and the other with 3.73s--and set them on cruise with the engine RPMs at 2000, the Jeep with 4.10s would be traveling slower than the Jeep with 3.73s. Less distance traveled at the same engine RPM = lower MPGs. Put bigger tires on the 4.10 Jeep, though, and it will be closer to the 3.73 Jeep's speed at the same RPM.

If rolling resistance and wind resistance stayed constant, you would probably see a slight increase in fuel economy when upsizing to 33" tires, because you are traveling more distance at lower RPMs (if the change is not enough to cause more downshifting). However, our world is not that ideal.

I'll be the one reassuring voice. 33s and 3.73s won't be much different than stock as far as power goes. Just go for it.

Unfortunately for us, our stock engines seem to have a black hole of power just below the OD gear cruise threshold. I would agree that 33s should be safe, but much above that would drop RPMs into the black hole that would cause the engine to be wheezing all the time and suck more gas. To prove out the theory on the black hole of power, I started driving around town without the OD. My mileage went up. (I have the 3.73 gears and AT with stock 255/75/17 tires.)
I'm guessing the huge variation for MPG is a bigger problem than we really know. We had a family get-together yesterday and I found out my cousin bought a Sahara Unlimited. With the same setup, she only gets 16-17 on the road. (That would be on the low end of my city/suburban mileage. -My last tank calculated out at 18.5, with only a small portion of it being highway mileage.)
Old 06-22-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Berra
I have auto and 4.10 Changed from stock tires to Cooper STT 285/70 R17. I measured the circumference on one of the stockers and compared it witn the circumference on the Cooper STT a difference of approx 3,5%.
This means that I get 3,5% further than the cars odometer shows.
I have a scangauge installed on wich I can read my MPG ( or really L/100km as thats how welike it here)
On my "testtrip" I usually get 11,9 L/100km, with the new setup I get around
12,3- 12,5L/100km. 12,3 - 3,5% is 11,86 so virtually the same not bad for a MT tire. My test trip is from town to home, not a very long trip but as I make it frequently I use it as reference.
How are those Coopers on various surfaces? I really like the look of them. The stock Goodyears suck for wet traction. (Just like they did on my truck.)
If I can't find a local bargain on 16" tires & wheels, I may go for the Coopers and paint my factory wheels black.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd just be careful with the cooper's because they used to have a major problem with pitting on gravel or other rough surfaces.

I haven't experimented with turning the OD off yet because mileage has been good so far.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

With the stock 29" tires, at 60 mph my rpms were right at 2k. After I installed the 33s at 60 mph, I'm now at about 1.7-1.8k.
I noticed only the slightest drop in power after the switch.

Quick Reply: 285/70/17 and mileage