Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2017 wrangler touch screen compatible with 2011

Old 12-22-2020, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 wrangler touch screen compatible with 2011

I can buy a like new touch screen radio pulled from a 2017 jk wrangler. Will this be a plug and play for my 2011 Rubicon. What all will I need to make it work, security code? Will GPS work? My rubicon does not have uconnect, I do have controls on wheel for volume and so on..
Old 12-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It will be plug and play. You will need the security code if it says "anti theft" on the front....which it should. GPS- you'll likely need a different antenna. I plugged in a standard satellite radio antenna into a 2016 radio and navi didn't work. My friend with a 2015 plugged in his factory satellite radio/ gps antenna and the navi worked as advertised. It does pull speed for the maps from your speedo though, not actual gps position changing. I would imagine your volume buttons will work without issue.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I would only say that some times, or even a lot of times, getting that security code can be a lot more pain in the ass than you think it will be. proceed with caution. I'd make the owner of the radio get the code before purchasing it. If not, you will learn this is going to vary wider than the grand canyon from dealership to dealership as you try to get the code. I live in Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. You can imagine how many Jeep dealers are here in town, and I called em all. I finally found one where the service manager was willing to help me with no issues at all.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

^^^ 100% agree on that- I don't buy a radio without the anti theft code, though my experience wasn't as bad (or nearly as long) to get a code. You just need all of the right pieces of info and a dealer that will help you. I ended up calling the parts department and they were able to get me the code, but that was only one time that I've done it.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:59 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y, Karl and I have had different experiences. Mine was in the last year I think and it was like an act of Congress to get it, and that was even buying the radio from a local person and having them help me. I couldn't believe it. It's like they think people are stealing these factory head units and selling em for $1k ea. Like....I paid $50 for this, can you PLEEEAAASE just help me get the code? Fortunately the person I purchased from was not only local but very, very patient. They worked a lot for the $50 they got back having to converse between myself and dealership I finally got to help me.

Anyhow, I'm sorry I can't speak directly to saying everything will work perfectly, I just want people to at least be aware it's not always as simple as plug 'n play and call for a code. If you do buy that radio and have issues, I'm happy to provide email to the specific guy that helped me (just PM me if you need it). I'd imagine Karl can refer to you the dealership that helped him too if need be. We're here to help where we can.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

thank's guy's I appreciate all the input I can get.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put in a used 2015 touchscreen in my 2011 JK, no problems.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Radio sold but I found this one from a 2018 JK, will this one also be plug and play. Also is this a touch screen and have GPS on it?
Old 12-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

That is a touch screen but you'll know if it's nav by the three letter code on the bottom, right face of the radio. There are RHB, RBZ, REN, etc- but I couldn't tell you which is which. I do know that for navi, folks prefer the 430 series over the 730 series. It seems that the 730 series has a different map provider and the Bluetooth built in- from what I've causally read. I briefly looked into them but after running one for a week, I went back to my non touch. There are times where I wish I had the navigation but it's not great in direct sunlight or super dark areas- the screen doesn't get bright enough or is too bright at night.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I cannot tell on that radio the code Karl notes differentiates the radios, but my non-nav 430 has an RBZ if that helps. I bought this touch screen only cuz it was $50 on NextDoor from a local neighbor which I thought would be easier than trying to buy from a total stranger. IMO, $50 was the right price for something that looks slighty better than teh basic radio, but doesn't add any more functionality than I had before. Well, I say no more functionality....I guess it did add a USB charging port. nbd.

Quick Reply: 2017 wrangler touch screen compatible with 2011