Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2016 2 door jk lift

Old 06-20-2021, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 2 door jk lift

Hey guy's I am wanting to add a 2.5 lift kit to my 2 door jk sport s and would like some feedback.

There are 4 I am looking and stuck. The products on both sides looks reverse and from talking to people it's like a chevy vs Ford debate. Could I get an unbiased response from yawl. One side gives you lower CA and the other side sends uppers CA.... lowers helps put the wheels back in stock passion and uppers helps with caster or pinion angle If I understand it correctly but not sure which one I need over the other or a mixture of both. There are 2 levels I guess you can say that I'm sending. Low and mid value.

Lower:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-25-lift-kit-w-9550-vss-shocks-0718-jk-2-door.html

https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-2-5in-true-dual-rate-lift-kit.html

Mid:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-25-sport-s-t2-suspension-lift-kit-0718-jk-2-door.html
With 2.1 falcon shocks

https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-2-5-true-dual-rate-lift-kits.html

Would like to use fox shocks for the metalcloak but I will consider rocksport if you happen to know anything about them and if they are worth the value as compared to fox.

mainly will be overlanding and going through mud getting to places. (Not a mud bath type driving) leaning to the first lift but 2nd guessing myself a little and think it wouldn't hurt/ should get the adj front track bar and possibly front lower CA.

First lift and trying to do my homework..

Will be running 33s due to not wanting to change out gears and what nowhere the added weight of 35s and up.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I would go for the MC and use the Rocksports. Friend has them on his Jeep and they are as good if not better than Bilstein but not sure if that is a valuable point to you. I make that recommendation on what your use will be and the fact that MC is a good quality bolt on suspension provider for our Jeeps and I have MC and am happy with it.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I would go for the MC and use the Rocksports. Friend has them on his Jeep and they are as good if not better than Bilstein but not sure if that is a valuable point to you. I make that recommendation on what your use will be and the fact that MC is a good quality bolt on suspension provider for our Jeeps and I have MC and am happy with it.
Thank you for the feedback.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

One side gives you lower CA and the other side sends uppers CA.... lowers helps put the wheels back in stock passion and uppers helps with caster or pinion angle If I understand it correctly
When you get both upper and lower, yes, that is the usual thought process. Position the axle with the lowers, then adjust the uppers for caster/pinion.

With a single set, the end result is the same.
Lowers will push the bottom of the housing forward a bit - lowering the pinion and raising caster.
Uppers will pull the top of the housing back a bit - lowering the pinion and raising caster.

Arguments can be made for which is the better set if only getting one, but don't stress over it, either will work just fine for you. And don't forget to add brackets to that particular decision process.

it wouldn't hurt/ should get the adj front track bar
Nope, it wouldn't, but this can be added at any time. Won't be an issue to drive it with the stock trackbar and see what you think. The axle will be offcenter a bit, but it'll give you a chance to form an opinion.

and possibly front lower CA
Caster correction is not a must-have, but yes, you will want 'some form' of correction. Whether that is lowers, uppers, or brackets is open to further debate. (brackets will work just fine, and are arguably the better call for the 99+ percent of the time you will be driving on pavement.)

No experience with TF coils or shocks.
Been running the MC 3.5" for over six years. Like their stuff a lot, they get my vote.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-20-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The teraflex is a entry level junk kit about as good as Rough Country or Rubicon express. I would avoid it. Extreme Terrain is also spotty on service. Lots of poor reviews out there on them. Not sure how so many people look at them to buy stuff. Maybe social media?

The Metal Cloak True Dual Rate is the one to get and has everything you really need at 2.5". Uppers or lowers really does not matter as a single set will only allow you to roatate the axle not move it so you will still have a slight loss of wheel base with any kit that does not have a full set of arms or relocation brackets. You can always add the rest of the arms over time or if money is not really an issue go with the game changer lift and do it once and done. The Rock sport shocks will give you a good ride and more travel than the fox shocks which run a higher nitrogen charge and tend to ride a bit harsh unless your rig is on the heavy side.

I don't run either MC or Teraflex and have done many installs of the MC and removed many Teraflex kits that were being upgraded to other brands.Synergy, Clayton, and Currie are some other lift companies I would look at as well but right now Metal Cloak is the best company out there for lifts.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
When you get both upper and lower, yes, that is the usual thought process. Position the axle with the lowers, then adjust the uppers for caster/pinion.

With a single set, the end result is the same.
Lowers will push the bottom of the housing forward a bit - lowering the pinion and raising caster.
Uppers will pull the top of the housing back a bit - lowering the pinion and raising caster.

Arguments can be made for which is the better set if only getting one, but don't stress over it, either will work just fine for you. And don't forget to add brackets to that particular decision process.

Nope, it wouldn't, but this can be added at any time. Won't be an issue to drive it with the stock trackbar and see what you think. The axle will be offcenter a bit, but it'll give you a chance to form an opinion.

Caster correction is not a must-have, but yes, you will want 'some form' of correction. Whether that is lowers, uppers, or brackets is open to further debate. (brackets will work just fine, and are arguably the better call for the 99+ percent of the time you will be driving on pavement.)

No experience with TF coils or shocks.
Been running the MC 3.5" for over six years. Like their stuff a lot, they get my vote.
Originally Posted by TheDirtman
The teraflex is a entry level junk kit about as good as Rough Country or Rubicon express. I would avoid it. Extreme Terrain is also spotty on service. Lots of poor reviews out there on them. Not sure how so many people look at them to buy stuff. Maybe social media?

The Metal Cloak True Dual Rate is the one to get and has everything you really need at 2.5". Uppers or lowers really does not matter as a single set will only allow you to roatate the axle not move it so you will still have a slight loss of wheel base with any kit that does not have a full set of arms or relocation brackets. You can always add the rest of the arms over time or if money is not really an issue go with the game changer lift and do it once and done. The Rock sport shocks will give you a good ride and more travel than the fox shocks which run a higher nitrogen charge and tend to ride a bit harsh unless your rig is on the heavy side.

I don't run either MC or Teraflex and have done many installs of the MC and removed many Teraflex kits that were being upgraded to other brands.Synergy, Clayton, and Currie are some other lift companies I would look at as well but right now Metal Cloak is the best company out there for lifts.
Thank y'all for all the information, it was very informative.

Probably going to go with the true game changer. (A happy middle for my sport s) Possibility having a brain fart but when you referring to brackets which specific ones are you suggesting in addition to that particular kit.

Weight of my jeep.. atm I have a aftermarket front bumper w/ wrench. Wanting to add either smittybilt hd tire carrier and bumper separate or a 2 in 1 haven't made my mind up on that.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Will2597
Thank y'all for all the information, it was very informative.

Probably going to go with the true game changer. (A happy middle for my sport s) Possibility having a brain fart but when you referring to brackets which specific ones are you suggesting in addition to that particular kit.

Weight of my jeep.. atm I have a aftermarket front bumper w/ wrench. Wanting to add either smittybilt hd tire carrier and bumper separate or a 2 in 1 haven't made my mind up on that.
you don’t need brackets with the game changer
Old 06-21-2021, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

you don’t need brackets with the game changer
Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

TExtreme Terrain is also spotty on service. Lots of poor reviews out there on them. Not sure how so many people look at them to buy stuff. Maybe social media?
I cringe every time I see that place get brought up. They have to be one of the worst retailers IMO, and most of what they sell is crap. I think that new owners do a search for XXXX and inevitably ET is near the top of google's results. For as bad of a retailer as they are, I think you're right......they have really managed their website, social media and YouTube videos with keywords and content that the search algos love. It wouldn't shock me if those YouTube videos have a heavy weighting in what Google returns. Then, newbies visit the site and see the lift options for sale and get set to make a decision based on what they see available.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I cringe every time I see that place get brought up. They have to be one of the worst retailers IMO, and most of what they sell is crap. I think that new owners do a search for XXXX and inevitably ET is near the top of google's results. For as bad of a retailer as they are, I think you're right......they have really managed their website, social media and YouTube videos with keywords and content that the search algos love. It wouldn't shock me if those YouTube videos have a heavy weighting in what Google returns. Then, newbies visit the site and see the lift options for sale and get set to make a decision based on what they see available.
I dont know much about XT... I just used there links as representation to the lifts I was looking at. I will agree that they do have a lot of information when it comes to youtube videos and in a lot of people mind.... if it's on youtube then it must be right or the best and so on.... My first choice was leaning to was a metalcloak lift from a jk build post I was reading on a different forum and I learned alot just from that and we had a lot in common when it came to our Jeeps usage but as I have read each lift is different for each person and wanted to make sure it was the right one for me and I still had questions and some more learning needed to be done. That's when I came across the teraflex brand and not knowing much about them is when I started looking at those lift and asking yawl about there difference, durability, and overall quality of them for my needs. I am guilty for watching there videos buy also watched trailrecon, custom offsets, and a lot other ones in addition to reading everything I could similar to the build I would like with addition to stickies for beginners guide for new builds.

Lastly I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has commented and help me with all my questions. Hopefully wasn't too much of a hassle.

Quick Reply: 2016 2 door jk lift