Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2015 Rubicon JK w 4" Lift & 35s - left pull, squirrelly at speed

Old 05-31-2022, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapeteater

"C" = the part of the front axle out towards each end that hold the knuckles on with the ball joints. When you go with larger tires some of us weld gussets on to them to reinforce them and keep them from bending or breaking.
Makes total sense now. One MORE thing I could do of I welded! There are so many cool things I could do if I had that skill. I need to read up on how to get into that.

Thanks for all of your input.

I did some Googling on what you said about the drop-Pitman, that all makes more sense now too. Just need to find where to get an original and how to do it.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Centuryhouse
Makes total sense now. One MORE thing I could do of I welded! There are so many cool things I could do if I had that skill. I need to read up on how to get into that.

Thanks for all of your input.

I did some Googling on what you said about the drop-Pitman, that all makes more sense now too. Just need to find where to get an original and how to do it.
Welding isn't hard. You can go buy a decent 110v mig welder at Home Depot or Lowes and get a bottle of shielding gas and do some practice and get pretty good pretty fast.

As for the pitman arm -> https://www.quadratec.com/products/56014_1004.htm
The following users liked this post:
Centuryhouse (05-31-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I cannot remember seeing a kink in that bend on the DS LCA like yours when I changed mine out. Looks damaged to me. Is the right one the same? Some advice - see if you can get your nippers on a 2.5" lift and throw the 4". Will solve most of the TC end driveshaft angle as Resharp mentioned. And the broken u-bolt holding half of the SS bracket to the tie rod needs to be replaced.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I cannot remember seeing a kink in that bend on the DS LCA like yours when I changed mine out. Looks damaged to me.

...the broken u-bolt holding half of the SS bracket to the tie rod needs to be replaced.
It looks like they dented the LCA offroading.

The broken u-bolt was done by me yesterday when I attempted to check all of the various front end nuts / bolts for tightness - it snapped right off with hardly any force. Not sure where to get another unless Lowes / Home Depot has them.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

where are you located in dallas? i have a factory pitman arm you could have, BUT I'm outside the 820 loop west of fort worth and that is likely a haul to my place to save $20-30 on a pitman arm which is what I think they cost. Also, to be very clear, if you go back to a factory pitman arm you would need to flip the drag link to the top of the knuckle which would 1) require a new drag link, 2) require you to drill the knuckle and use a sleeve for the taper. That is not a big deal really. The drag link and track bar need to stay parallel. you could also remove the raised track bar bracket on the axle and go back to the factory mount for the time being while using the factory pitman arm. The only issue with this is at that height the steering angles are pretty sharp. You might experience some bumpsteer when hitting a pot hole or bump. Not sure, it might just be the better option right now given the finances. This might not have been the best purchase given that situation.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
where are you located in dallas? i have a factory pitman arm you could have
I'm in Farmers Branch / N Dallas. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated though with fuel costs it might be cheaper to buy a pitman arm as you said.

A new drag link needs to happen once money allows. Lots to think about and I've started a list of eventual changes / upgrades.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

at 6.3* your pinion is actually pointing ever so slightly down, increasing the angle the DS runs to the transfer case. That appears to be the factory DS up front and dang, that CV joint at the TC side has to be in agony. It can't be long for this world at that angle
One follow up...to reduce that 6.3 caster, what is needed - adjustable UCAs?

Couldn't the higher caster on the left be resulting in the leftward pull?

Also - I keep reading that people with Nitto Trail Grabbers (which I have) get a leftward pull, even if they rotate the tires. Just thought I'd mention that as I hadn't heard of that previously.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

SmartSteer has a Yeti26 no-drill DL end that replaces just that knuckle end so you can flip it to the top mount. Other companies like Metalcloak and Synergy make a DL that can be mounted in both orientations.

You replaced that steering stabilizer. What did you install there? Your original post noted having experienced positive pressure SS in the past so guessing that is not your case right now. If you removed the SS you're still getting the pull? If you're on a perfectly flat road and let go of the wheel you're veering off pretty quickly?
Old 06-01-2022, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Your original post noted having experienced positive pressure SS in the past so guessing that is not your case right now. If you removed the SS you're still getting the pull? If you're on a perfectly flat road and let go of the wheel you're veering off pretty quickly?
The original (stock) SS turned out to be damaged so I replaced it. Without a SS it still pulls left - though not as badly with the new one installed.

There are times if I shift the wheel enough to the right on a flat road, it will just stay going straight. You have to get the wheel just right for that to happen.

That would make me think something is shifting in the steering but I can't spot anything loose even with someone turning the wheel while I'm under watching the front end. And nothing clunks or *feels* like it is shifting when I move the wheel.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

I may have found the left pull issue. Mine has NITTO Trail Grapplers:

Quick Reply: 2015 Rubicon JK w 4" Lift & 35s - left pull, squirrelly at speed