Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2015 JKU 3" need tires

Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 JKU 3" need tires

New to the Jeep world and this forum. I recently installed a 3" lift on my 2015 JKU and I'm looking to run 33"s for now. Don't have the money for wheels yet and need advice on the widest tire I can run on my 18s. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

10" should be safe. A bit wider if you're ok with adding washers to the steer stops (if needed). 12" if you add spidertrax type wheel spacers. (actual measured tire size can vary quite a bit, and lift height can vary quite a bit, so you won't get any type of definitive answer. ie. someone tells you a certain size worked for them, doesn't mean it will work for you without rubbing...)

But, you have a 3" lift, why would you only do 33's? Kind of a waste with that tall of a lift. Grab a set of spacers and start looking at 35's to fill all that empty wheel well space. Or if you chop the flares, slap some 37's on.

Or, wait a bit to save more money and drop down to 17" rims instead of those 18's. Tires should be a bit cheaper, and they'll have the proper backspace so you won't need the spacers.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-10-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Only looking to do 33s for now because it's my only vehicle and I've got a 30 mile one way commute to work. Also it only has 3.21 gears from factory. Once I get me another vehicle for work commute I'll toy it out.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran first gen Cooper STT in 275x70x18 for a few years and now Cooper STT Pro's are on the market. I did lose 1 mpg from rolling resistance vs. stock Sahara rubber. Had an 80 mile round trip commute and was very happy with road feel and crazy long longevity. Cooper makes Mickey Thompsons and it's made in America. Later I added a lift and wheel-spacers and kept the wheel/ tires for a few more years till the tread was gone.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may not like that size with that much lift, i did a 2.5" lift a couple of months ago, just a week after getting 33's, (little did i know most manufacturers rate their kits with a bunch of heavy weight all around), so in stock trim it went 4" front, 2.5" rear (because the rear springs wee bowed, otherwise it would have been 3" easy), ended up with 3.5" after stubby bumper and winch front.

While not 100% goofy looking, i wasn't very pleased with the look at certain angles after lift, even the wife was telling me the tires looked small, lol, go figures. i went with 33's because i didn't want to regear, 33's are still easier on the factory drivetrain, and i commute 130 miles a day with the Jeep, so i switched the 2.5" springs for 2" ones instead, much better looking with 33's, way cheaper to switch springs than to add new 35's + gears + spare tire carrier
Old 10-10-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

285/70/18 and And 295/70/18 are common 33" tire sizes for 33's

Tires for 18's are considerably more $$ and you are limited to a lot of them being load range E which will cause a harsh ride.

You will also probably need a full set of Spidertrax spacers ($200)

I ordered new rims,tires,lugs,locks,sensors, mounting,balancing,etc,shipping,etc from Discount Tire Direct for $1700 including a replacement warranty on all 5 tires. That was for 33" Nittos. I then sold my stock Sahara wheels and tires for $650. for a net of $1050 and didnt need wheel spacers either which saved me another $200.

You can get alot more for your money with 17's, 16's,or even 15's

Quick Reply: 2015 JKU 3" need tires