Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2015 JK Rubi 2 door

Old 09-13-2020, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 JK Rubi Diff Question

Good Afternoon Folks,

Looking for some answers pertaining to front and rear differentials. Back story, I purchased this 2015 Rubi a month ago with only 27k miles (2nd Jeep I’ve owned). Since then I have replaced the original battery, changed the oil (it was black), changed the air filter and cabin filter, replaced the front steering dampener, and flushed the radiator. My next do-to items: change the front and rear differential fluid. I wanted to make sure they were 4:10 by referencing the metal tag typically bolted to the diffs however I don’t see them. My thoughts are the original owner (1 owner vehicle) might have either regeared or removed the diff covers for whatever reason. The rear RTV doesn’t seem factory and seems like it has been replaced. I also had to snug the diff fill and drain plugs. If you look at the pic of the rear differential you can some of the RTV was squeezed out of the bottom left. The only way for me to know for sure is remove the covers and check for regearing. I attached pics of the diffs. Thoughts?

2015 JK Rubi HR

Front differential.

Rear Differential.

Last edited by HeyYou NotYouYou; 09-13-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Title
Old 09-13-2020, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't recall tags on my Diffs and don't recall anyone in here reporting that our jeeps have tags. One way to check your gearing is to lift the back end. Turn the tires one revolution and count the number of revolutions your drive shaft makes. For more accuracy, turn your wheel around multiple times, the divide the # of drive shaft revolutions by the number of tire revolutions.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No tags on the axles of either of my JK's, 09 and a 16. If your changing fluid anyways I'd just pull the rear cover and count teeth. Would only cost you an extra $.50 worth of rtv. It's a good practice to check inside a new to you diff anyway, look for chipped gear teeth and such while your in there. I'd bet you come up with 4.10's
Old 09-14-2020, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Agree, tags aren't a standard thing. I've bought a new crated rubi axle before and there was simply a sticker on the tube at the time. I also don't think it's abnormal for someone to pull diff cover to take a look when draining. Agree with both posts above. Most will simply rotate the tire and count DS rotations, but it's also always good to put your eyes on things when getting to know a "new to you" vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2015 JK Rubi 2 door