Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2014 tpm on older jeep

Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I haven't seen them use it but its apparently a hand held device where they capture the one frequency and then 'paste' it into the other sensor/s.

Lots of folks don't want to buy OEM TPMS sensors when they get new wheels or extras, so you can get generic ones at a fraction of the Jeep price and just paste the frequency into it. Tire tech has come a long way from the days past. Just like engines, lots of new technology is out there.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm thinking it's a rumor. If you told me they change the computer to recognize a different frequency I may believe that. Not sure why someone would want to do that since they will have to use older frequency sensors for as long as they own the Jeep or change it back.

Not saying it isn't true, just saying I have never heard of it. I have heard they have devices to read the installed sensor frequency so they know if it is the right one. But not that they can then be reprogrammed.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-29-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I haven't seen them use it but its apparently a hand held device where they capture the one frequency and then 'paste' it into the other sensor/s.

Lots of folks don't want to buy OEM TPMS sensors when they get new wheels or extras, so you can get generic ones at a fraction of the Jeep price and just paste the frequency into it. Tire tech has come a long way from the days past. Just like engines, lots of new technology is out there.
If that was true. they wouldn't be vehicle specific. I know I was looking for a spare one to keep in the jeep in case I broke one on the trail. They where marked 07-12 and they had some that where marked 13-newer. Which means that they can't not be changed. The hand held device u r talking about just read ed the signal coming from the senor to see if it's work or not. Or to see what frequency it is sending.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I would hope not as it is a relative that owns the shop. We were just talking about it a couple weeks ago when I clogged my TPMS by trying to put beads through it. Thought it was one of the pass through designs... ours is not .

There are a lot of reasons why someone would want to do it, say you damage your wheel and need a new TPMS sensor. The cost of a dealer sensor vs a generic one, just like all parts, is sky high. It comes down to cost, if someone can get a generic TPMS sensor and get the same result by paying less then some folks will go for it. Others always prefer a dealer one.

I don't know much further details about it though as I don't have have any part in the business so I'm not a tire guy.

Just putting it out there to the OP that if there is a shop nearby that can reprogram his TPMS sensors to match the Jeeps frequency, probably cheaper then unmounting/replacing/remounting all the tires.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
There are a lot of reasons why someone would want to do it, say you damage your wheel and need a new TPMS sensor. The cost of a dealer sensor vs a generic one, just like all parts, is sky high. It comes down to cost, if someone can get a generic TPMS sensor and get the same result by paying less then some folks will go for it. Others always prefer a dealer one.
They sell generic ones in different frequencies.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rbzak
If that was true. they wouldn't be vehicle specific. I know I was looking for a spare one to keep in the jeep in case I broke one on the trail. They where marked 07-12 and they had some that where marked 13-newer. Which means that they can't not be changed. The hand held device u r talking about just read ed the signal coming from the senor to see if it's work or not. Or to see what frequency it is sending.
Just because an item is marked or sold as something does not mean it cannot be changed. But, you might be on to something there actually. First off it is possible to program TPMS sensors and read them as the first two google results show. I'm at work so don't have audio and don't actually know if the below video really is applicable (apologies if it is not). But in both cases and in the case that was given to me as an example after clogging my TPMS was that they can toss a generic one in for a fraction of the cost and copy/paste the frequency into them.

Since they are generics they might be open to the pasting action where an OEM one is not. Still though, it'll take you 2 minutes of your time (OP) to call a reputable tire shop and ask them if they can do it. If you can and save money, awesome. If they can't, well... you spent 2 minutes and are not saving anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOQaAhTSusQ DIY TPMS Programming - Tool to Program your Own TPMS Sensors - Toyota Scion Honda - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Old 08-29-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
They sell generic ones in different frequencies.
Yes, that they do. Doesn't change the fact that there are TPMS sensors out there that can be reprogrammable.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not possible to reprogram the sensor it's but u can reprogram the ecu.

TPMS Reset Tool” is a commonly used expression to decribe TPMS tools for end users. End users tend to use TPMS tools to reprogram their vehicle ECU whenever they change their summer tires for winter tires and vice-versa.

- “TPMS Activating Tool” is an expression used by technicians in tire repair shops to describe the process of “activating” a brand new TPMS sensor in “sleep” mode.

- “TPMS Triggering Tool” describes the same as TPMS Activating Tool.

- “TPMS Decoding Tool” is an expression used whenever a TPMS Tool is used to “Decode” the TPMS sensor. Not only “TPMS Decoding Tools” can Trigger or Activate TPMS sensors, but they can also receive and Decode the information those sensors send to the vehicle ECU. This information can be the pressure within the tire, the temperature, the wheel rotating speed, the TPMS sensor unique ID, its battery status … etc.

Off the this Web site. http://www.ateq-tpms.com/tpms-tools-...ked-questions/
Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

I agree with rbzak. The relearn process they are talking about is the vehicle relearning the new sensor has been installed so the tpms light goes out. It's not the sensor relearning. Jeep relearns automatically and doesn't require you to run a relearn process. I went to their website and looked up the proper sensor for a 2011 (which was about as expensive as stock ones!), them went to ebay and the sensor comes in the right frequency.

Robot Check

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-29-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rbzak
It's not possible to reprogram the sensor it's but u can reprogram the ecu.
Good to know! Like I said that was just the first two examples.

Weather or not it is possible to reprogram the OEM TPMS sensor (doesn't sound like it is, but I'll ask them when they get back tomorrow). You CAN program a third party TPMS sensor with the existing frequency the Jeep ecu is putting out. It would (probably) have to be a specific kind of sensor which accepts to be written. But I will check with them tomorrow as I'm rather interested to see what they say.

Quick Reply: 2014 tpm on older jeep