Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2014 JK Rubicon Transfer Case noise

Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JK Rubicon Transfer Case noise

I have a 2014 Rubicon 2 door with a manual. Only have 17,000 miles on it. I am not having any issues in 4wd, it is performing fine off road in 4 hi and 4 low. The thing that concerns me is the noise that is coming from the transfer case. It's just like a little racket, like you can hear the chain spinning. It does this in 2 wheel drive just sitting there at idle. I mean it is not terrible but it is noticeable. I'm thinking it's normal, but is anybody else's Rubicon TC making this racquet?
Old 12-05-2016, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are getting the noise when you are not moving it is not coming from the transfer case. If the Jeep is not moving then the transfer case is not moving either.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds like the notorious throwout bearing noise. When you push the clutch in does it go away?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
It sounds like the notorious throwout bearing noise. When you push the clutch in does it go away?
I will check on this and let you know, not sure.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me your hearing gear roll inside of your transmission.
If it was the throw out bearing you would hear it when the clutch pedal is pushed in thus spinning the bearing

Nothing to worry about kind of what the NSG-370 trans does time to time
Old 12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
I will check on this and let you know, not sure.
Originally Posted by MacRubi2
Sounds to me your hearing gear roll inside of your transmission.
If it was the throw out bearing you would hear it when the clutch pedal is pushed in thus spinning the bearing

Nothing to worry about kind of what the NSG-370 trans does time to time
The noise goes away when i push the clutch in. Is this something i should worry about? It doesn't bother me, but if it needs fixed then the jeep is still under powetrain warranty.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The noise goes away when i push the clutch in. Is this something i should worry about? It doesn't bother me, but if it needs fixed then the jeep is still under powetrain warranty.
No nothing to worry about that's exactly how it should happen....push in the clutch pedal and that stops the transmission input shaft from spinning which in turn makes the noise go away.

Mine does the exact same thing every now and then.

I will say if it is really loud it might be worth a visit to the dealer if you are still under warranty

Last edited by MacRubi2; 12-07-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MacRubi2
No nothing to worry about that's exactly how it should happen....push in the clutch pedal and that stops the transmission input shaft from spinning which in turn makes the noise go away.

Mine does the exact same thing every now and then.

I will say if it is really loud it might be worth a visit to the dealer if you are still under warranty
I mean its not really loud, i notice it cause i'm OCD about my jeep. But you have to point it out to someone otherwise. I have to get my radio replaced here in a few days at the dealership, i will bring it up... Thanks for you help.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I mean its not really loud, i notice it cause i'm OCD about my jeep. But you have to point it out to someone otherwise. I have to get my radio replaced here in a few days at the dealership, i will bring it up... Thanks for you help.
Yeah I'm pretty OCD myself and thought the same thing when I heard my brand new Jeep make this sound. Did some research and seems a lot of manual transmission guys experience this and have had the dealer tell them its normal.

Only reason I believe it's nothing to be worried about is that when I had my HD Road King it would do the same thing in neutral so I knew what gear roll over sounds like.

Some owners report changing the gear oil helps reduce the noise which I plan on doing this spring.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Of course the dealer is going to say it is normal, and you may never had a problem with it, but definitely have them check it so you can document it if it does become an issue.

These transmissions are definitely noisier than many other manuals out there.

Quick Reply: 2014 JK Rubicon Transfer Case noise