Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2013 TPMS Compatability

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet
Maybe I shouldn't be extremely surprised....

I've been reading that the 2013 have a multi-channel TPMS that gives info on the individual wheels.

Can anyone confirm this....
Yes, the 13s can give you individual tire pressure readouts.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Maybe I shouldn't be extremely surprised....

I've been reading that the 2013 have a multi-channel TPMS that gives info on the individual wheels.

Can anyone confirm this....
that is true but you have to have the correct package for it to work that way. I have a base sport and it does not give individual tire pressures. I did test drive an upgraded model rubi and it did.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Edge Hawk
Yes, the 13s can give you individual tire pressure readouts.
Originally Posted by jadmt
that is true but you have to have the correct package for it to work that way. I have a base sport and it does not give individual tire pressures. I did test drive an upgraded model rubi and it did.
Thanks, Guys, very interesting. So the '13s can, if equipped, tell you which tire is low.

Does the '13 owners manual give you advice about what to do when you rotate tire positions?

Does it automatically re-learn which tire is in which position? Or is there a reset procedure described?
Or are you at the mercy of a shop with the special tool?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Guys, very interesting. So the '13s can, if equipped, tell you which tire is low.

Does the '13 owners manual give you advice about what to do when you rotate tire positions?

Does it automatically re-learn which tire is in which position? Or is there a reset procedure described?
Or are you at the mercy of a shop with the special tool?
When you rotate tires on the 13 and drive for a while they calibrate to the new location.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Skid_Kid
When you rotate tires on the 13 and drive for a while they calibrate to the new location.
Thanks!

I got a '13 manual and reviewed it. Confirming and expanding upon previous posts:

There are now Base and Premium TPMS available.

Both will indicate a bad sensor or a low pressure (same as the older systems) but now each will indicate position on rig of the low pressure tire.

The premium (on vehicles with EVIC) actually shows the pressure of each of the 4 tires being monitored.

Neither base nor premium monitors the tire in the spare position.

Rotating the tires (or employing the spare to replace another wheel) causes the system to reset if you drive for "up to 20 minutes" at over 15 mph. (that's an increase from 10 minutes driving time noted in older manuals)

No mention of the current sensor frequency.
No mention of compatibility or not with the 315MHz or 433MHz sensors found on earlier models.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

I got some new wheels and tires (35's) for my 2013 JKU that is not here yet and I will not have any tpms at all as I picked up a AEV procal to fix that problem.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can confirm that the newer 2013 sensors and system work on a different frequency than previous models. They are NOT interchangeable with the previous model sensors, and vice versa.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by palehorse
I can confirm that the newer 2013 sensors and system work on a different frequency than previous models. They are NOT interchangeable with the previous model sensors, and vice versa.
The above is correct. Just ordered MB TKO's from DTD and they sent them out with the 2012 sensors by mistake. I caught it on the invoice, and they had to turn the shipment around to put in the correct sensors. All 2013's operate at the same frequency whether they have the individual read outs or not, but are not compatible with earlier systems.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to pick up a set of 2012 jk alloys for my 2013, and was wondering if the tpms from my factory wheels will fit and work in the 2012 wheels I'm picking up? Before anyone asks I'm buying them because they are already powdercoated. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pulledunder
I know this is an old thread, but I'm about to pick up a set of 2012 jk alloys for my 2013, and was wondering if the tpms from my factory wheels will fit and work in the 2012 wheels I'm picking up? Before anyone asks I'm buying them because they are already powdercoated. Thanks!
Fit. Yes. The valve stems are the same size. Problems happen when mixing frequencies from different years.

Your original 2013 sensors will fit in 2012 JK wheels and work fine on your 2013 JK.

If you get the warning light at first you may just have to drive at over 15 mph for up to 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: 2013 TPMS Compatability