Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2013 JK steering components loose...?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Go up to the Writeups area. Stuck right to the top is a good Deathwobble/Shimmy diagnosis thread by Planman. Read through it and follow all of the steps.

Is the shimmy speed related? (starts at 58 mph and goes away at 62 mph or something similar)

Which tires/what is the load rate. What psi are you running?

And just for the heck of it, do you know the Caster and Toe specs?
OK I will read it. It does seem the shimmy is always there but gets really noticable above 65mph and doesn't go away.
I run 35x12.5 General Grabber AT2 tires that are D rated at 38psi as I use to tow with the Jeep. Now that I think about it that seems high psi as I don't tow any more. I have no idea on caster and tow.
The Jeep in general seems to ride rough,should I upgrade shocks?
Old 06-29-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

To check the tie rod and drag link ends, grab them by hand and see if you can move them vertically in the joint.

No vertical movement by hand = not worn.

Using tools, such as pliers or a pry bar, will overcome the spring in the joint and give a false indication of being worn.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm also having the same problem. I have a 2.5 lift with 35s and have s ton of play in the steering. Took it to the dealer and they said they could tighten the track bar bolts or put a bigger steering stabilizer on... I told them no and went and picked it back up. Track bar bolts were torqued properly and with the help of a friend turning the steering wheel and me underneath looking at things it took me all of 30 seconds to see all the play in the drag link and when I put my hand on it I could feel a clunk. It really pissed me off because there's no way a mechanic even looked at it. So I made an appointment with a different dealership to have them check it out and fixed under warranty... Hopefully.... That was on a different forum but sane problem. Make sure tires are balanced and then look at those videos mentioned above to help. My drag link clunks and has vertical play. Also don't let the stealerships tell you that you need a bigger stabilizer....
Old 06-29-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckeyedolfan

OK I will read it. It does seem the shimmy is always there but gets really noticable above 65mph and doesn't go away.
I run 35x12.5 General Grabber AT2 tires that are D rated at 38psi as I use to tow with the Jeep. Now that I think about it that seems high psi as I don't tow any more. I have no idea on caster and tow.
The Jeep in general seems to ride rough,should I upgrade shocks?
I'd try adjusting your psi first and see if that helps.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do your rims need hubcentric rings?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
You nailed it. After I realized I was actually running 40psi I lowered it to 30 and it's a huge difference. Much smoother ride for sure. I just ran 85mph on the highway with no issues.

Thanks for the awesome help. I totally forgot I had aired them up so much when I was towing.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
agreed your tire psi is to high I run at 29 psi and that's good for me but I would try a tire chalk test first!
Sorry I wrote this post before I read you lowered your psi already to 30.

Last edited by 12JKjeep; 07-02-2015 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 JK steering components loose...?