Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2013 Jeep JKU, Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilsteins 5100 Driveshaft making contact Help

Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Jeep JKU, Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilsteins 5100 Driveshaft making contact Help

Hi all,

I have a 2013 6mt JKU. I installed the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with Bilstein shocks. Seems the shocks that were sent too long as the springs from the front of the car come unseated at full droop. They're going to solve this by installing front retainer clips. The shop installed the exhaust spacer as well to help with clearance issues as well. However, it seems that the driveshaft is making contact. They are recommending that I get a shorter front shock to help the problem or get retention straps which requires some welding/fabrication.

Are there any other solutions/recommendations? I have read on the forums that an AFE Y-Pipe will help?

Thanks all!

-Jim
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Call Teraflex. They well sort it out. Most people get a new driveshaft with a double on one side so it will clear the exhaust. As far as dropping a coil, I hope that was with the sway bar disconnected.

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 01-23-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Call Teraflex. They well sort it out. Most people get a new driveshaft with a double on one side so it will clear the exhaust. As far as dropping a coil, I hope that was with the sway bar disconnected.
Yikes, the more I read, it seems that I'll have to get a new driveshaft. Was hoping for another solution as I was putting money aside for some lights!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omjee
Yikes, the more I read, it seems that I'll have to get a new driveshaft. Was hoping for another solution as I was putting money aside for some lights!
You could swap out the stock driftshaft or install some limiting straps also.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all,

I have a 2013 6mt JKU. I installed the Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with Bilstein shocks. Seems the shocks that were sent too long as the springs from the front of the car come unseated at full droop. They're going to solve this by installing front retainer clips. The shop installed the exhaust spacer as well to help with clearance issues as well. However, it seems that the driveshaft is making contact. They are recommending that I get a shorter front shock to help the problem or get retention straps which requires some welding/fabrication.

Are there any other solutions/recommendations? I have read on the forums that an AFE Y-Pipe will help?

Thanks all!

-Jim
Holy kitten killing post Batman.
On the topic though I have 2.5 with the exhaust spacer and the shaft doesn't hit. If its drooping enough that the spring is coming unseated a little shorter shock should take care of both issues. IMO
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
You could swap out the stock driftshaft or install some limiting straps also.
Do the limiting straps require welding/fabrication?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the limiting straps require welding/fabrication?

Thanks for your help!
Most likely (although not much of a big deal). I have not seen a bolt on limiting strap setup for the JK.

My suggestion is to just get a new front driveshaft. Its the right thing to do. Why limit downtravel? You bought the lift for more performance, right? Just make sure your shocks still do limit the downtravel, and not your brake lines...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

I think probably the least expensive and less hassle way is to have who ever you bought the kit from send you the correct length shocks and also have them send you a return label for yours. You already have the exhaust spacers on there, so you should be good to go with only a 2.5 inch lift. I believe the specs on the 5100 vs the Teraflex shocks at 2.5 inch lift height are even slightly shorter at full extension, so there is nothing to worry about in that regards. Why spend the additional money (e.g. driveshaft, limiting straps, etc.) when you don't have too.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default 13 jku

I also have a 13 JKU Sahara. I had the Terraflex 2.5 lift with the Bilstein 5100 shocks installed by Off Road Warehouse in San Diego and everything works perfectly. Maybe there is a problem with the installation?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

I have the 2.5 bb Terraflex lift though. I wonder if that is the difference?

Quick Reply: 2013 Jeep JKU, Teraflex 2.5 w/ Bilsteins 5100 Driveshaft making contact Help