Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012+ w/ Auto Trans and Mechanical Lockers

Old 07-19-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012+ w/ Auto Trans and Mechanical Lockers

2013 2dr Sport AT, looking for advice.

I am reading that there may be issues using a mechanical locker in a Dana 30 in 2012+ JKs with automatic trans but I cannot find any details.

Anyone with first-hand experience? I am assuming it is ESP related while in 4-high, would disabling ESP help?

I am not ready to replace the D30 just yet but it is on the list. I wanted to get it locked up without spending too much cash since this is going to be temporary until the D44-whatever- gets dropped in.

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the issue was with running an automatic locker in the rear since it's always receiving power and it will put the jeep into limp mode. An automatic locker in the front will only engage when you're in 4wd (high or low) and it's receiving power.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did too and agree with that logic but I ran across two discussions on two different sites saying otherwise.

One of them did refer to 4-Hi and over 40mph and I can maybe see that but am wondering if disabling ESP/Trac control would overcome that even.

Just not a lot of info out there so I thought I would ask. $300 for an Aussie/Spartan vs $900 for selectable would let me put more towards a front axle replacement.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd leave it until you are ready for a new axle. The BLD (brake lock differential) on the newer JKs works exceptionally well if you understand how to use it. When wheeling and a front tire starts to spin from loss of traction, the system will apply braking pressure to make the other tire turn as well. Except for being in the rocks and not having a tire on the ground, the BLD works about as well as a locker.

The key is understanding how it engages. If you are climbing an obstacle and start to lose traction in the front, maintain even pressure on the gas pedal. Don't hammer it or let off. In about 1-2 seconds it will kick in and you will have both front tires turning together.

I wheel the hardest trails you can find and rarely use my front locker. I prefer to have the control of steering and let the BLD kick in a bit. It is a lot smarter than a locker and will provide you some steering control.

Now, if you are wheeling the hardest trails in Southern CA and following a bunch of buggies around, then I guess you have an argument to get a locker. If that is not the case, there is not obstacle that should be an issue.

Also, given you have a Sport, the real issue is the transfer case. It has way too high of a crawl ratio. The first mod I did to my Sport was a Rubi case. Best mod ever. Then I got Rubi axles. And then one tons... If I only did one mod to my Jeep other than armor, it would be the t-case.

Quick Reply: 2012+ w/ Auto Trans and Mechanical Lockers