Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 Unlimited Sport fresh build questions.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 Unlimited Sport fresh build questions.

So I'm in the process of theory crafting what I want to build suit my needs but was looking for some much needed input as to the way to achive my goal.

First off the things that I know I want and are in the works are:
Zone Offroad 4" kit
35's probably leaning towards TSLs cause they've always been on my rigs but open to suggestions
New rims of an undetermined style and size I have stock 16 steels at the moment

Now for the hard part is asking the questions that I couldn't find answers to thru searching and this vehicle is not just a play toy but will also be my daily/grocery machine:
I'm also a weekend warrior that loves to play hard, and I also occasionally tow my 6x10 box trailer that houses my Harley...Dyna FXDB for anyone wondering.

My biggest concern is gear ratio and the main reason is that it's a very subjective topic:
I want to improve all around from where I am at the moment as I am not satisfied at all with the stock gearing as she screams at around 3000 - 3200 rpms while cruising at 80 in 6th.
So I don't want her to be a sluggish dog but also don't want to totally throw mpgs out the window all together as I would like to make 6th usful again as well as be able to pass gas stations not to mention the occasional towing of my trailer to event's when taking just the bike isn't an option.

Another this that adds a little complexity to what I'm asking is that this will be a slow build not an over night miricle and I eventually plan on putting either genright or metal cloak fenders on her and want to have room that if I move up to 37's I don't have to do all this over again. I know I'm asking alot here but I know that there is an answer out there somewhere I just need to find it.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to making my baby a reality with a little help from the minds here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

So I'm thinking 5.13s might be the trick any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2015, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Prob 4.88 with the 3.6 and manual.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A lot of people here are running 37's with 2.5" lifts and flat fenders. You can run 37's with that 4" lift and stock fenders. 4" with flats (and pinch seam trimming and low enough backspace), you have room for 40's

Gear for the tire size. Or like many of us, you will just be paying those costs a second time. 4.56 and 4.88 are popular with the 3.6 engine, 5.13 and 5.38 are more common with older 3.8 engines. There are a thousand threads discussing the merits of the various ratios, spend a bunch of time reading before deciding. Try to find posts from people with the same engine, same transmission, at a similar altitude, and similar road conditions, driving similar speeds, and ...
Old 10-24-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

I was just floored when I did a small upgrade from my old tires which were 225/75/16s and pretty beat up to a set of 255/75/17s a buddy of mine gave me after upgrading his Rubi, and I went from getting around high 18mpgs to low 16mpgs on the highway. It's unreal the gearing in this thing I mean I didn't buy a Jeep expecting 20 highway but jeez .
Old 10-25-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're turning 3000-3200rpm at 80, even with 29" tires, you don't have stock gearing. You may want to determine what you do have to help your decisions down the road.

The single most important investment you could make re: your query, is the lift. I would spend time doing some research and drop the Zone from consideration.

Buy once, cry once.

I'm running 4.56 with a '12 manual trans and 35s and it does fine even here at altitude. 16.5-17mpg. IMO, nthinuf is spot on with the gear ratio generalization. From your post, you may already have 4.56 or 4.88s?

Last edited by fredrok; 10-25-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WildRider82
So I'm thinking 5.13s might be the trick any thoughts?
If you're concerned about mileage; no.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you're really going TSL's then you'll want to bump to a higher gear. You know those tires are pretty heavy and if you're thinking of dragging a trailer with it then you're going to need the extra oomph.

Do your research on the zone kit and look for long term feedback on it. Check out who has what kit and how many miles on it, who has swapped to many different brands in search of ride quality....keep this in mind on those TSL's and pulling a trailer.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Pretty much have my eye on 4.88s thanks to info here and 5.13s cause of the trailer and heavy tires. Just trying to decide right now I would hate to have to regear twice. But if the charts are right 4.88 seems to be the sweet spot on this motor with tires ranging from 35 to 37. Just still looking for info at this point.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fredrok
If you're turning 3000-3200rpm at 80, even with 29" tires, you don't have stock gearing. You may want to determine what you do have to help your decisions down the road.

The single most important investment you could make re: your query, is the lift. I would spend time doing some research and drop the Zone from consideration.

Buy once, cry once.

I'm running 4.56 with a '12 manual trans and 35s and it does fine even here at altitude. 16.5-17mpg. IMO, nthinuf is spot on with the gear ratio generalization. From your post, you may already have 4.56 or 4.88s?
What 4 inch kit would you recommend?

Quick Reply: 2012 Unlimited Sport fresh build questions.