Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 Tire Pressure Sensor

Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Tire Pressure Sensor

Ok, dumb question I know but...

I didn't realize the 2012 has a tire pressure sensor... anyone know what happens when I put on new wheels? I mean, I know the obvious is it won't work but am I going to have to ride around with a yellow light on my dash telling me I have no pressure or does it just kick off?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll either need to swap the sensors to the new wheels or get a programmer that can disable to light.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't think to actually look at the rims to see if they still have them. A lot of the newer systems on cars are going with actually comparing rpms of each wheel based on the abs sensor and not actually reading the air pressure. It would have been good if they had switched to that system on the jeep.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moblur
anyone know what happens when I put on new wheels? I mean, I know the obvious is it won't work but am I going to have to ride around with a yellow light on my dash telling me I have no pressure or does it just kick off?
Just move the sensors over to the new rims. Simple and works fine, also keeps you legal.

Originally Posted by genesbro
Didn't think to actually look at the rims to see if they still have them. A lot of the newer systems on cars are going with actually comparing rpms of each wheel based on the abs sensor and not actually reading the air pressure. It would have been good if they had switched to that system on the jeep.
Actually that's the old way (90s) of doing tpms, not the new. The 2007/08 mandate by the government was pretty specific on a more reliable, accurate system.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

So how do these sensors work and do I have to give special instructions to the tire shop?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, any competent shop will already know what's involved. You need to have them use an install kit (metal versions use a new washer, o-ring and collar; rubber versions have a bolt on stem) to ensure there's no leaks.

As far as how they work, basically they measure the PSI in the tire. Once it drops below a set amount, the system provides a warning. The system uses RFID.

Last edited by mdnky; 09-11-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks ... RFID makes sense... I figured it was some kind of wireless deal.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi. Just searched this topic. I did switch the sensors to the new wheels. After 19000 miles the TPM light has come on. Obviously the manual does not tell you how to reset or turn off. So any tips on where I can look or even better would be someone who has already turned theirs off.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pingi3
Hi. Just searched this topic. I did switch the sensors to the new wheels. After 19000 miles the TPM light has come on. Obviously the manual does not tell you how to reset or turn off. So any tips on where I can look or even better would be someone who has already turned theirs off.

Thanks
Only way to turn warning light off, without doing surgery, is to reset them to zero with a programmer (AEV ProCal, Superchips, etc, depending on your year model).
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently swapped a stock set of ruby wheels/tires (100 miles so far) and was told the wheels did not have tpms sensors. I was expecting the light to come on immediately but nothing. Is the tpms an option only for Rubicons or Saharas? Or did this come on all 12's? I'm thinking that I should remove my sensors (if I have them) before selling my stocks. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 2012 Tire Pressure Sensor