Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 Rubicon regearing

Old 11-01-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5

A procal will not change the performance of your jeep. It will tell you how fast you are really going and it will turn off your tpms if you dont have sensors, plus a few other little things. It is not an alternative to gears if you are looking to regain lost power
But with the new pentastar it doesn't really lose much power when switching to 35's or 37's. When I get on the throttle pretty good at a stop light, I actually break traction a little bit on 37's and auto trans
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASJK
So procal is the way to go ?
Yes, get the ProCal. I have used it on my 2012 JKU Rubicon with 35" tires and it works like a charm. I will use it again to readjust tire size when I put on 37" tires.

When the computer has the correct tire size information, it will adjust the speedometer and indirectly adjust the transmission shift points because the speedometer will be accurate again. If the speedometer is off because the tire size is wrong, the transmission will shift at the wrong time. You could also have problems with the computer nanny engaging and causing some weird driving experiences because the axles will be spinning at a different rate than what the computer expects if the tire size isn't adusted.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

2013 jku sport, 35's with 4"lift. Pro-cal made big difference. No need to re-gear.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob-o

But with the new pentastar it doesn't really lose much power when switching to 35's or 37's. When I get on the throttle pretty good at a stop light, I actually break traction a little bit on 37's and auto trans
I agree, posted that previously. I would never drop $2k to regear a 3.6 with 4.10. The only way to adjust your shift points is to buy a programmer or just use your tap shifter to make it shift
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattgt5

I do believe the tranny shifts off of rpm and not speed, lol!
Ok so given there's no wheel slip, are the rpm's and speed of the vehicle not directly parallel in given gears? Lol
Old 11-03-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon with A/T and 35's. Used the ProCal... no need to re-gear IMHO.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

You still lose power though even though it doesn't feel lk it I have 37s on my auto and will be going to 4.88 to get that crawling back up to stock.

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubicon regearing