Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 Rear Drive boot torn/AEV Lift question

Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Rear Drive boot torn/AEV Lift question

Tooling around the black hills this weekend, i ended up tearing my rear drive shaft boot on the evap canister skid. I know i should get a new shaft, but that would require UCAs. I talked with AEV today, they recommended that i just move the evap and skid and replace the boot. They said if i change out the control arms the ride quality would suffer with their SC 3.5in lift.

I would like your thoughts on AEVs suggestion.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on here about relo ing that skid. Tf has a video on it. Thay is what i would over a new ds. For some reason, my boot is not that close to the evap. Go figure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120822_200345.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	357113
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chips
Tooling around the black hills this weekend, i ended up tearing my rear drive shaft boot on the evap canister skid. I know i should get a new shaft, but that would require UCAs. I talked with AEV today, they recommended that i just move the evap and skid and replace the boot. They said if i change out the control arms the ride quality would suffer with their SC 3.5in lift.

Thanks
they are right in saying that you should move the evap over as it's easy to do and for the most part, free. as far as changing out your control arms go, that won't do anything to help prevent this from happening again but, to suggest they would actually cause your ride quality to suffer is just retarded.

Originally Posted by mattgt5
There is a thread on here about relo ing that skid. Tf has a video on it. Thay is what i would over a new ds. For some reason, my boot is not that close to the evap. Go figure.

Attachment 357113
you won't see the problem happen until you flex on the trail. doing so will cause your drive shaft to sweap over to the side and that's when it'll make contact with the skid. depending on how centered your rear axle is, this can be more of a problem or less of one.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I started a thread on this almost a year ago. There was not a lot of lifted 12s yet put the max travel kit on flexed it out heard this awful noise looked under ripped the boot. I had a e-vap skid form my 09 jeep so just put that on all good but going to need a rear shaft sometime i stay out of mud so hoping it will stay quiet for a while.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Thanks
Didn't think you could buy just the boot, at least not from jeep. Unless you need an aftermarket DS, just buy a take off rear DS. They show up on here periodically.

FWIW--I've been running my torn rear boot for 8000 miles now.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ,wayoflife,

you won't see the problem happen until you flex on the trail. doing so will cause your drive shaft to sweap over to the side and that's when it'll make contact with the skid. depending on how centered your rear axle is, this can be more of a problem or less of one.
I have had it maxed out a few times with no issues, YET. I am going to move mine as well, just havent gotten around to it yet. Maybe my axle position has something to do with it??

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120822_211907.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	357163
Old 08-22-2012, 05:57 PM
JK-Forum Founder

I have had it maxed out a few times with no issues, YET. I am going to move mine as well, just havent gotten around to it yet. Maybe my axle position has something to do with it??

Attachment 357163
yup, like i said, depending on the position of your axle, this can be more of a problem or less. the problem with just running a track bar relocation bracket is that it's a one size fits all solution. depending on the weight of your jeep with mods and gear, the actual position of your axle will vary.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife

yup, like i said, depending on the position of your axle, this can be more of a problem or less. the problem with just running a track bar relocation bracket is that it's a one size fits all solution. depending on the weight of your jeep with mods and gear, the actual position of your axle will vary.
No worries! I at least learned that from the forum: " dont use relo brackets!" Jks adj track bars on my jeep
Old 08-23-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thoughts

So based on this, i should continue to use the driveshaft and do the evap relocation?

I have the trackbar relocation with stock control arms. The wheel sits closer to the cab than the rear of the vehicle. I figured the Control Arms would recenter the wheels in the wells as well as allow for a Coast DS. eliminating the need to relocate the Evap??
Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 AM
JK-Forum Founder

No worries! I at least learned that from the forum: " dont use relo brackets!" Jks adj track bars on my jeep
in all fairness, relocation brackets aren't necessarily "bad" and can even be a benefit when lifted high enough. it's just that when used by itself on a small lift, the amount of correction it'll provide is set and cannot accomodate for actual lift. an adjustable track bar is the only way you can do that.

So based on this, i should continue to use the driveshaft and do the evap relocation?

I have the trackbar relocation with stock control arms. The wheel sits closer to the cab than the rear of the vehicle. I figured the Control Arms would recenter the wheels in the wells as well as allow for a Coast DS. eliminating the need to relocate the Evap??
i would relocate the evap skid and just run for a while with a torn slip shaft boot. use this time to save up for a replacement shaft. if you go too long, the slip shaft will start to seize up and cause damage to your cv joints.

Quick Reply: 2012 Rear Drive boot torn/AEV Lift question