Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 Onboard Air Selection

Old 11-25-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Onboard Air Selection

Ok so I am looking for a 2012 Onboard Air solution for a JKU. I was looking at the ViAir Constant duty 450c with the brake booster bracket but when I ordered it I was told it is no longer being made. Ideally I am looking for a constant duty cycle that is easy to mount under hood. Anyone have any other suggestions for some type of kit before I just start ordering parts and building something on my own.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure air werks has a kit, they are forum sponsors you can pm them here or check their site onboard-air.com
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the 33% duty one for the 2012, I will be adding a 2gal tank under the drivers side of the body. I may add a constant duty compressor to this bracket in the future.

-Will

VIAIR ADA 2012-2013 Jeep JK System 40044 - Onboard-Air.com
Old 11-26-2012, 01:50 AM
JK Newbie

Hi guys

I have the 33% duty one. It is super high quality.
It inflates my BFG 33x12.5x15 from 8 to 26psi in about 2,5 min per tire. Total of 12 min including the tire swops.

The only issue I have is the high Dubai temp. After a day in the sand, the under hood temp is so high, I can't touch the compressor....before i turn it on. If I try inflate the tires, it trips the thermal cut off after 2 1/2 tires. I need to let it cool, with the engine off and hood open for about 8-10 min before starting to inflate.

You must stress, Dubai is HOT. 115F with high engine power in 1st gear for 2 to 3 hours get the under hood temp way high. Too hot to touch the compressor for more than 5 to 10 sec. Much like the NORMAL after use temp......

So i just pack up my other stuff, have a cool drink and then inflate.
Very happy with the product.

Regards
Paul

Last edited by Paul Woodcock; 11-26-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Jeepswag basic OBA system.
I believe they're going for about $200 on sale right now?
Super clean setup an easy install.
Works great for me and its pretty cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3850234730.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	392338

Name:	image-1677276850.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	392339

Name:	image-3449672737.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	392340
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replys guys. That JeepSwag unit looks might nice for the money. I went with the ViAir 450c Constant duty and then got separately the Synergy brake booster mounting bracket for the 2012 system. Im going to dig around to see where I can stuff a few gallon tank now and I should be all set with a nice system. Ideally I will be able to run low volume air impact wrench with it for short bursts when I am done putting the tank on. Constant duty pumps are much slower but there is something about knowing that is will keep going and going and going like the energizer bunny that is appealing to me. Also they draw much less power while running so I feel a bit better about that as well. Ill post a pic when I get everything and get it installed up.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I got my OBA system installed and running real nice now. I wound up going to west marine and getting a marine grade on off key switch to run instead of the tiny little toggle supplied. This also insures that it gets shut off as the key for the on switch is located on my key ring and the only way to remove the OBA key is to have it in the off position. I also wired in an inline marine grade waterproof fuse then covered all the wires in matching factory harness wire covers and shrink wrapped all of the connections.

The synergy mounting plate bolted right up without any issues at all. You need to push one of the AC lines to the side to make everything fit and not rattle but that was really a non issue. I had to relocate my brake booster vacuum line as well but that was a short trip to Napa for two feet of vacuum hose and a little time to cover it with harness dressing to make it look factory as well. It is very disappointing that ViAir cant figure out how to make a bracket for the 2012 plus. I mean that is there primary product and after two years now they cant get a bracket made?

Either way the pump is really very nice and having a constant duty pump just makes me feel better about the system then knowing that I have 20 mins before the pump is going to overheat and shut off. I think the next project is going to be to add a six gallon pancake tank where my stock muffler was and route it so I can use air tools off of the back using a remote connector off of the compressor. Click image for larger version

Name:	20121203_150053_resized.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	394739

Quick Reply: 2012 Onboard Air Selection