Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU Rubicon 2.5" Lift

Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU Rubicon 2.5" Lift

My JKU Rubicon is on order and I have been looking at lift kits to run 35" tires. I have thought about going with a 3.5" kit, but I really don't want to change the driveshaft and now I have read the driveshaft hits the exhaust at full articulation, so there will now need to be an exhaust modification.

I have been waiting for AEV to release there 2.5" system, but in the mean time I started looking at other kits. I looked at Terraflex and it looks pretty good. Too my surprise you can choose a Terraflex 2.5" system that runs anywhere from $600.00 to almost $4000.00 for a long arm suspension system.

If you were going with a 2.5" system what are the advantages of changing out shocks, compared to adding extensions. I am looking for a complete kit if possible.

I am open to suggestions! I will be using this jeep as my DD and for some fun.

Also I will need a tire carrier for my 35's, so I want something durable. At this time I am leaning towards the AEV carrier and modifying my bumper to handle it.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM
OJL
JK Newbie

I run the teraflex 2.5" BB with shocks (gain about 2" over extensions when flexed) with nitro trail grappler 295/70/18 (just under 35") as my daily driver and a little fun! I have a 2010 4dr sahara. LOVE IT!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been reading about the Terraflex spring lift and shocks and it sounds like it might work.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Extensive research has led me to TF coil and shock lift with Bilstein 5100 shox, 35in nitto trail grapplers, 18x9 XD Rockstars and a smittybilt oversize tire carrier...will be installing it all within a month.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Flat fenders will let you run 35's with no lift.

Most 2.5" coil lifts will give you 3"+ of lift

2" coils spacer and shock extensions would be inexpensive

Look at the JKS ACOS it a great coils over suspension that gives you 1" of lift and is adjustable up to 3.5"
X2... The ACOS are on my list. You could go with a TF 2.5" BB and bump up to Rubi coils (18/59 or 19/60) and have a 3" lift. I run 18/59 with my BB and TF 9550 shocks front and rear with no issues, and my 35's clear with no issues. The only thing you might run into is slight rubbing on the rear punch seams. That's a 5 min fix with an angle grinder...
Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are some of the high end shocks worth doing with a 2.5" spring lift? For example I have looked at Bilstein and Fox shocks that have a remote reservoirs, but I don't know much about them.

I don't mind spending the money for a good lift. I just want great handling on and off road, with my 35's.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
JK Freak

i'm leaning towards the Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel kit. It's on sale through Bustabizz right now. You should check it out. I've been looking at several others as well, but I keep going back to the Max Travel. It's at the top of my budget, but I only want to do it once.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

What has been said about AEV coming out with a 2.5" lift"
Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by River Hill
My JKU Rubicon is on order and I have been looking at lift kits to run 35" tires. I have thought about going with a 3.5" kit, but I really don't want to change the driveshaft and now I have read the driveshaft hits the exhaust at full articulation, so there will now need to be an exhaust modification.

I have been waiting for AEV to release there 2.5" system, but in the mean time I started looking at other kits. I looked at Terraflex and it looks pretty good. Too my surprise you can choose a Terraflex 2.5" system that runs anywhere from $600.00 to almost $4000.00 for a long arm suspension system.

If you were going with a 2.5" system what are the advantages of changing out shocks, compared to adding extensions. I am looking for a complete kit if possible.

I am open to suggestions! I will be using this jeep as my DD and for some fun.

Also I will need a tire carrier for my 35's, so I want something durable. At this time I am leaning towards the AEV carrier and modifying my bumper to handle it.
Shocks question really comes down to this.. Do you want to put 'em on now or later? Rubi shocks are better than my X-shocks but after 7,000 miles of the 2.5" lift I'm ready to ditch 'em for the bilstien 5100. They can not handle highway bumps at all. Also, with your question about lift height. With the TH 2.5" more like 3" I've torn my F.Driveshaft boot, will offroading disco'd and failure is inevitable. You may want to trim up the skid where it makes contact even if you go with the 2.5". Don't forget a Procal or like to reset your computer for the new tires.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sreym Jk
What has been said about AEV coming out with a 2.5" lift"

The only thing I have heard is they are working on it.

At this point I am now leaning towards TeraFlex, but have no idea what shocks to get.

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU Rubicon 2.5" Lift