Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU lift question

Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU lift question

What size lifts require the exhaust spacer?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the problem isn't so much with lift size but rather, if the shocks you run are long enough to allow for too much droop. in other words, so long as you install a 2.5" lift with shock extensions or, install shocks that are short enough to limit your droop, you will be okay without the spacers.

having said that, even if you install spacers, lifting your jeep 3" or more will cause your cv joint at the t-case to sit at a steep enough angle that the joint will fail sooner than later. needless to say, you will need to replace your drive shaft at that point and time.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the quick response, however Im still lost as far as the exhaust spacers go.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrphillips
Thank you for the quick response, however Im still lost as far as the exhaust spacers go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2CQD68LHSg Here's a video to explain it to you.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in the same boat! I've been searching forums for weeks and decided I may just do a front 1" spacer or the rock krawler 1.75" leveling kit and some flat fenders with 33's and be safe for now since its my dd. later after my warranty runs out I'll do the bigger lift/ shafts/ gears.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jrphillips
the spacers just help your front drive shaft to clear it at a full droop. if you just install an aftermarket front drive shaft like you really should as it'll not only be narrower in diameter, won't have a slip shaft boot to get in the way and won't come into contact with the exhaust cross over, it'll actually address the issue you will have with cv joint failure on a 3" or taller lift.

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU lift question