Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU front bumper dilemma / musings

Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 JKU front bumper dilemma / musings

ok, so here's the scoop - 2012 JKU that's meant as a family excursion vehicle. For rockcrawling (when I get a chance) I still have my XJ, Having said that, I have a winch I want to mount on it for tje "just in case" scenarios. Additionally I'm not looking to lift it (apart from leveling the front as needed). Lastly budget is an issue. I'm trying not too spend too much money on it (I know you get what you pay for that's why I'm trying to be smart about it).

Originally I wanted to mount the winch into the stock bumper using a plate mount. This would be the "lightest" solution and the least expensive (though time consuming). The big downside there is that the front crossmember would not be protected (just as it is not right now).

Second choice is the Smittybilt SRC Classic Front Bumpers JK. Cost is $249 with no tax and free shipping. Looks sturdy but what I'm disappointed with is that I can't mount stock fogs into it. I do have them, why not use them? I did consider drilling holes in the front face of it, but I don't want to weaken the forward surface where the hawse will sit.

Next choice is the DV8 LFS8 bumper. I can get one that is missing one of the lights for $250 (same price). It seems that some people love love them and others hate them. The price is great as it's 50% of what it originally cost BUT I hate to spend money on something that might look good but is a POS https://dv8offroad.com/collections/j...products/lfs-8

So... wanting to spend under 3 bills what would you do?
Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The frugal me leaned towards option A myself so I stopped by HF to buy the winch plate. I got it home, got lucky enough to even get time this evening to work on it just to find out that my neighbor is still battling a power steering pump replacement on his subaru... So one hour later u get to dig into my stuff..... Anyways, after getting rhe bumper off I started looking at stuff and fitting things and while option A is doable I am giving up on it. I just don't have the time to do it. Also Id have to build a skid / protection for the front crossmember as I really don't like the way it hangs.

So.... Dv8 or smittybuilt?
Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not on your list but what about Rough Country
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-...mper-1062.html

Its in the price range you're looking for, it's light, will accept factory dogs, and can take a winch.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JordanHaskin
I know it's not on your list but what about Rough Country
Hybrid Stubby Front Winch Bumper w/Fog Mounts for 07-17 Jeep JK Wrangler [1062] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

Its in the price range you're looking for, it's light, will accept factory dogs, and can take a winch.
I almost had a credit card out ready to order it when I noticed on the picture that it does not protect the front crossmember :(
Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

I bought this Rough Country and am happy.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-ful...per-10505.html
I would have spent more time and money trying to make the stocke bumper work. Little more money though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170412_120503.png
Views:	76
Size:	533.2 KB
ID:	670220
Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bit the bullet... Got a customer return dv8 bumper for 220
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

well... slightly used.... 2 bills... here it is

Old 04-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor

Default Tough Country JEEP JK bumper special!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep-Package-2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	670286
Jeep JK Bumper Special - Tough Country Bumpers

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU front bumper dilemma / musings