Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU Exhaust Resonator Skid??

Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU Exhaust Resonator Skid??

Does anyone know if anyone makes a skid plate yet for the exhaust resonator on the 2012 Unlimited? On mine anyway, it hangs down below the frame rails and looks like it could take a beating offroad.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTT for info
Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, I smacked mine pretty good 2nd time out wheel'n and dented the stock exhaust can too.

My solution was to run the AFE exhaust. that tucked everything up nicely, however I could not stand the interior drone I got from that kit. I just went back to stock and am looking for a solution too.

I am wondering what our stock exhaust would sound like with just that resignator deleted and if performance would be affected without it. without that resignator can, the rest of the exhaust would be out of the way until you got to the rear.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

BTT. anyone else?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Still wondering about this??
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAIL RATED
well, I smacked mine pretty good 2nd time out wheel'n and dented the stock exhaust can too.

My solution was to run the AFE exhaust. that tucked everything up nicely, however I could not stand the interior drone I got from that kit. I just went back to stock and am looking for a solution too.

I am wondering what our stock exhaust would sound like with just that resignator deleted and if performance would be affected without it. without that resignator can, the rest of the exhaust would be out of the way until you got to the rear.
I'm running the aFe cat-back exhaust that is tucked up under the Jeep and it isn't too loud for me. It has gotten a little more rumble after a couple thousand miles on it. Instead of putting the stock exhaust back on if I can't live with the growl, I'm contemplating adding a resonator to my aFe cat-back. At least that way, I'll still have the exhaust tucked out of the way. The stock exhaust was quiet, but it was asking to get dented/broken because it hangs down so low below the frame.

The resonator that I've been looking at is a Hushpower HP-2.

Last edited by bo9roadking; 01-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Evolution offroad makes a nice skid for the front portion.

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bo9roadking
I'm running the aFe cat-back exhaust that is tucked up under the Jeep and it isn't too loud for me. It has gotten a little more rumble after a couple thousand miles on it. Instead of putting the stock exhaust back on if I can't live with the growl, I'm contemplating adding a resonator to my aFe cat-back. At least that way, I'll still have the exhaust tucked out of the way. The stock exhaust was quiet, but it was asking to get dented/broken because it hangs down so low below the frame.

The resonator that I've been looking at is a Hushpower HP-2.
let me know how it goes. I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lensstj
Evolution offroad makes a nice skid for the front portion.
...and it is bulletproof too! from me on his design work and quality!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAIL RATED
let me know how it goes. I hope it works out for you.
After more than 6500 miles on the aFe exhaust, I decided that I needed to make a change. I added a Hushpower 12518400 HP-2 409S - 2.50" Center In / 2.50" Center Out 18.00" Case resonator to my aFe Hi-Tuck exhaust over the weekend. I had a straight section of the aFe exhaust pipe cut out and the hushpower 2 welded in. The hushpower 2 is mounted in the same location (under the driver's seat) between the y-pipe and the evap skid where the stock exhaust resonator was located in the stock exhaust setup.

Since the Hushpower 2 is made from 409 stainless like the aFe exhaust, I still have a high quality all stainless setup. The Hushpower has a built in heat shield, so I don't have to worry about heat build-up under the floorboard. The exhaust sound is significantly quieter than running only the aFe muffler and slightly louder than stock. There is no drone at all and I don't feel like I need ear plugs when I'm driving at 70+ mph on the hwy for a couple of hours. I no longer feel the need to crank my radio on the hwy, so that I can hear it.

I liked the aFe sound for around town driving, but the drone was too loud for me on long road trips. My main reason for doing the Hi-Tuck in the first place was to get rid of the low hanging stock muffler. I wasn't out to get the louder exhaust. With the addition of the 18" resonator, I get a little bit of rumble at idle and hard acceleration, but no drone at all. Now instead of hearing the exhaust at hwy speeds, I only hear tire and wind noise. I'm guessing that if I went with the smaller 12" Hushpower 2 resonator instead of the 18" version that I installed, I would have kept more of the aFe growl, but I don't know if I still would have had the drone while on the hwy.

I'm happy with how everything turned out. I don't have a way to post a sound clip on here, but image the quietness of the stock exhaust at hwy speed with a little deeper rumble at idle and hard acceleration. I also keep my primary objective of getting an exhaust that doesn't hang below the Jeep frame.

I reset the ECU after the hushpower 2 was installed, so it is still too early to determine if there has been any impact on engine performance or gas mileage.

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU Exhaust Resonator Skid??