Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU air filter question

Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU air filter question

So while searching for a cold air intake for a 2012 JKU, I came across a post on a different forum where a guy was saying that a CAI on the 3.6 wont do much for HP or TQ #'s. He said that all you need to do is replace the filter because intake is well designed now and u dont need the CAI. He didnt have anything else to say. So I figured I would post on here to see what people thought? replace filter or get a CAI...
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Personally I would just get a high flow drop in filter and be done
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2511146690.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	342411

Spectre from pep boys. 19.95$. Sounds great and I feel like acceleration is better. Only had on one day so I'm waiting for mpg.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got a 12' myself. I put the k&n drop in and saw an Improvment on the highway cruising but I also im going install the airaid ubi kit. I want to keep the stock filter housing but I feel u lose a Lil power with the stock tube with the air chambers and flex tubing

Last edited by BIGNICK; 07-17-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Considering air intake is primarily a vacuum, how important is the opening? If air flow is quicker as the diameter of the hole is narrowed? I "feel" more acceleration with my pathetically cheap set up, but is this a placebo effect?

Is the flow really effected by the lack of turbulence of a laminar tube?

All I ever read is what someone has "parroted" from the manufacturers brochure. I'm used to sorting out the BS in medical peer reviews when a pharma company is the money source. And ANY statistic can be manipulated to be the best. So, I want to know why it's so important to buy a 200$ CAI when mine does that exact purpose.

And somebody explain why only the convection of the hot air in the engine compartment is noted only? Isn't heat transfer through conduction also causing heated air? Therefore the air is hot as it travels to the carb? I can see the reasoning for ultra-clean air in NASCAR at 200mph but, 30-50 mph in traffic.... explain?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CosmicWrangler
Considering air intake is primarily a vacuum, how important is the opening? If air flow is quicker as the diameter of the hole is narrowed? I "feel" more acceleration with my pathetically cheap set up, but is this a placebo effect?

Is the flow really effected by the lack of turbulence of a laminar tube?

All I ever read is what someone has "parroted" from the manufacturers brochure. I'm used to sorting out the BS in medical peer reviews when a pharma company is the money source. And ANY statistic can be manipulated to be the best. So, I want to know why it's so important to buy a 200$ CAI when mine does that exact purpose.

And somebody explain why only the convection of the hot air in the engine compartment is noted only? Isn't heat transfer through conduction also causing heated air? Therefore the air is hot as it travels to the carb? I can see the reasoning for ultra-clean air in NASCAR at 200mph but, 30-50 mph in traffic.... explain?
Cosmic went deep on this.. Although I am curious to see what people have to say. I did the cheap CAI on my last vehicle and it seemed to work fine. My only concern with that is with the 3.6 creating so much heat under the hood, where is the benefit coming from wtih the cheap CAI.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks JR. That's what I want to know. I didn't know the 2012 put out more heat? Why?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CosmicWrangler
Thanks JR. That's what I want to know. I didn't know the 2012 put out more heat? Why?
All aluminum block and heads dissipate more heat than cast
Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I'm curious to hear some answers here... I was thinking of putting a CAI and exhaust on my 12 shortly...
Old 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BIGNICK
Got a 12' myself. I put the k&n drop in and saw an Improvment on the highway cruising but I also im going install the airaid ubi kit. I want to keep the stock filter housing but I feel u lose a Lil power with the stock tube with the air chambers and flex tubing
What is a ubi kit?

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU air filter question