Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JKU AEV Procal Help

Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but thanks for trying to help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3509933487.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	408917  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

It lets me do the runtime changes. I just tested the high idle and it works fine.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm... I'd check with who you got it from. It won't work correctly if he didn't use it to reset his jeep to factory default. That's what releases the vin so it can be used on another.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm the seller and we've been PMing all day. I followed AEVs instructions to the letter to reset my rig and got the expected three beeps when it was complete. Even verified that the speedo was no longer calibrated.

I've offered jrmcgill to either return it to me for a refund or to go through the unlock again based on what he determines after talking to AEV tomorrow.

But someone help me understand why some functions would program on his rig if the procal was still locked to mine? Shouldn't it have given an error right away and for every setting?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I even did the ecu reset that aev recommends in their forum as a last resort to reset all codes. Still getting the error code
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrmcgill25
I even did the ecu reset that aev recommends in their forum as a last resort to reset all codes. Still getting the error code
I think you're right man - sounds to me like it was a "bad reset". Not sure why they even include the ability to reset and unlock the module when the mods on AEVs forum openly state that even when a reset is performed correctly, it may not always actually unlock the module.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

So for those patiently awaiting the outcome, lol, here u go. Spoke with AEV tech dept today and the guy was more than helpful. Told him exactly what the procal was doing and he said they see it all the time. It's why AEV highly recommends not buying a used procal. He said even with a correct reset sometimes the procal is junk afterwards. What happens is as soon as the procal recognizes a new vin after the first programmed function it locks up and will not do anything. So that answered all my questions as to what the problem was. He also said there is no fix whatsoever besides a new procal. Which I cannot comment on whether I am receiving one in the mail for the old one or not. But for those who have had this problem and for those that will be searching the forums concerning this problem I hope I helped you!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you got it handled. I've had bad experiences buying and selling used cellphones since then I don't buy or sell anything electronic. It was clearly out of the sellers control but still sucks. Good luck with the new one.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sucks that you can't just buy one and then use it like a wrench. The dam thing is a electronic tool. You should be able to use it on other Jeeps. It's just another way AEV can make money by selling one to every user vs selling one to a 4x4 shop and having them program your Jeep.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
It sucks that you can't just buy one and then use it like a wrench. The dam thing is a electronic tool. You should be able to use it on other Jeeps. It's just another way AEV can make money by selling one to every user vs selling one to a 4x4 shop and having them program your Jeep.
considering they have considerable amount of time and research invested in developing this tool I totally understand why the lock them the way they do. Hell otherwise hardley anybody would buy one they would just borrow one and pass it around.

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU AEV Procal Help