Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 JK 33000 miles .......BAD BALL JOINTS!!!!!!!! .....maybe??????????

Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JK 33000 miles .......BAD BALL JOINTS!!!!!!!! .....maybe??????????

I have a 2012 JK sport with Rubi 18/58 springs, 1" Terraflex spacer upfront to level and 265/70/17 Nitto Terra's. Had a noise up front and put it up on jack stands with the front end hanging and found a loose upper sway bar link nut loose. Thought I had found the noise (and maybe I did) but I put a pry bar under the front tire and lifted and heard and felt a slight clunk. I had my wife keep pumpin the pry bar (yes she is good at that) and eventually found the clunk. It is my ball joints, both sides, that are moving up and down oh so very slightly. There is no lateral sideways play but there is a small amount of up down vertical play. A mechanic friend (NOT A JEEP MECHANIC) said a little vertical play is normal???????

Can I try tightening the nuts or is that a waste of time?

I realize that the JK ball joints are junk but if this play is acceptable/normal I can wait to have them done at a later date when I can afford some good after market greasable joints..........................................

Any body experienced in ball joints out there?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm rather versed on ball joints at this point, and can say it is very likely they are shot at 33k miles. The nut will not do anything for you. you'll have to replace the ball joints, preferably some with a metal to metal design.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

This is the wear tolerance for the OEM JK ball joints. I watched mine until they were at the limit of vertical play. They lasted until about 75,000 miles; replaced them with Synergy ball joints.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is the wear tolerance for the OEM JK ball joints. I watched mine until they were at the limit of vertical play. They lasted until about 75,000 miles; replaced them with Synergy ball joints.

Damn...........................that's why I have chosen this forum over all the other wanna be Jeep JK forum's. That was straight to the point and illustrated!............AWESOME!.................. .....other than the fact that I guess I am gonna have to go with expensive Dynatracs in the future since I am planning on keepin and liftin' this JK in the near future.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D_engel
I'm rather versed on ball joints at this point, and can say it is very likely they are shot at 33k miles. The nut will not do anything for you. you'll have to replace the ball joints, preferably some with a metal to metal design.

Will do thanks!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Here is a thread that will show you what's inside the OEM JK ball joints: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...esults-116058/
Old 07-20-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go with synergy they are $200 for all 4 . Just put them in mine. Great quality.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Gitsum
Damn...........................that's why I have chosen this forum over all the other wanna be Jeep JK forum's. That was straight to the point and illustrated!............AWESOME!.................. .....other than the fact that I guess I am gonna have to go with expensive Dynatracs in the future since I am planning on keepin and liftin' this JK in the near future. Thanks for the info.
I went synergy. Stock lasted me 100k miles before death wobble started. Replaced and good to go.

$600 for
Dynatrac? Naw. I figure the following:

$200 synergy x 2 will get me at least 300,000 miles and still come out less than Dynatrac.

That will take me till the year 2030. By then, if I even have the Jeep, it will have D60s under it and run on cold fusion with a flux capacitor.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dougehr1
Go with synergy they are $200 for all 4 . Just put them in mine. Great quality.
Agreed, no need for the expensive Dynatrac's. The price of their rebuild kit costs almost as much as new Synergy balljoints.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Agreed, no need for the expensive Dynatrac's. The price of their rebuild kit costs almost as much as new Synergy balljoints.
I like the idea of being able to rebuild them with out a total tear down. I have replaced ball joints in 4x4 trucks before and am dreading the job. But if you have confidence that Synergy joints will last as long as the Danna 33 will before it requires rebuild They will do for me. I will replace front end with a Dana 44 when it is shot.

Synergy ball joints are DEPENDABLE & DURABLE if properly and regularly greased?

Quick Reply: 2012 JK 33000 miles .......BAD BALL JOINTS!!!!!!!! .....maybe??????????