Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible

Old 10-27-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JC's Unlimited
I was quite unhappy with the infinity "premium" sound that my jeep came with. Read a cool writ up on swapping them out with the dodge Boston acoustic plug n play speakers. For just a little ver $100 I upgraded the 4 speakers. Put poly fill in the sound bar and front dash boxes. I tried the kicker upgrade. They are 4 ohm speakers and the jeep system is 2 ohm. That's why they didn't sound good, running off the factory amp. Anyways, prob the most simple fix for upgrading sound and prob the most cost effective.
To clarify. If I understand you correctly the most cost effective sound upgrade is...

1. Upgrade 4 speakers to Boston Acoustic
2. Poly fill those 4 cavities
3. Upgrade the factory amp to the kicker 77kick46

Total upgrade approx $300
Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKJacK

To clarify. If I understand you correctly the most cost effective sound upgrade is...

Yes to #'s 1 & 2

No on #3 - I tried the kicker replacements first and failed, due to them being 4 ohm

Boston accoustics $27 each x qty 4 = $108
Poly fill @ WalMart $3.50 (just one bag was sufficient)
Total - $111.50

This is keeping everything on factory amp. When I tried to just upgrade my sound bar speakers with the BA speakers, it didn't sound as good as when i replaced the front dash speakers as well, with the BA speakers, thus all four are Doge Boston Acoustic speakers.

Don't get me wrong, they don't sound better than maybe the kicker replacements, running off aftermarket amp but I didn't want to do that. I wanted plug and play and low cost. I run an after market sub and separate amp for it and wanted to keep it all separate from the stock speaker setup. But I will say, I'm quite impressed with the dodge boston acoustic speakers and thought "might as well try, I've wasted more on lunch during the week, so I wasn't too concerned about the $ for this upgrade". I was hugely skeptical and walked away impressed after I installed them and turned them up. They actually bump a little too...go figure. I'll have to find the write up on them, here on JKF, and post the link.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes to #'s 1 & 2

No on #3 - I tried the kicker replacements first and failed, due to them being 4 ohm

Boston accoustics $27 each x qty 4 = $108
Poly fill @ WalMart $3.50 (just one bag was sufficient)
Total - $111.50

This is keeping everything on factory amp. When I tried to just upgrade my sound bar speakers with the BA speakers, it didn't sound as good as when i replaced the front dash speakers as well, with the BA speakers, thus all four are Doge Boston Acoustic speakers.

Don't get me wrong, they don't sound better than maybe the kicker replacements, running off aftermarket amp but I didn't want to do that. I wanted plug and play and low cost. I run an after market sub and separate amp for it and wanted to keep it all separate from the stock speaker setup. But I will say, I'm quite impressed with the dodge boston acoustic speakers and thought "might as well try, I've wasted more on lunch during the week, so I wasn't too concerned about the $ for this upgrade". I was hugely skeptical and walked away impressed after I installed them and turned them up. They actually bump a little too...go figure. I'll have to find the write up on them, here on JKF, and post the link.
Oops...no on number 3, I never bought another amp for those speakers. Just ran it off of stock amp.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes to #'s 1 & 2 No on #3 - I tried the kicker replacements first and failed, due to them being 4 ohm Boston accoustics $27 each x qty 4 = $108 Poly fill @ WalMart $3.50 (just one bag was sufficient) Total - $111.50 This is keeping everything on factory amp. When I tried to just upgrade my sound bar speakers with the BA speakers, it didn't sound as good as when i replaced the front dash speakers as well, with the BA speakers, thus all four are Doge Boston Acoustic speakers. Don't get me wrong, they don't sound better than maybe the kicker replacements, running off aftermarket amp but I didn't want to do that. I wanted plug and play and low cost. I run an after market sub and separate amp for it and wanted to keep it all separate from the stock speaker setup. But I will say, I'm quite impressed with the dodge boston acoustic speakers and thought "might as well try, I've wasted more on lunch during the week, so I wasn't too concerned about the $ for this upgrade". I was hugely skeptical and walked away impressed after I installed them and turned them up. They actually bump a little too...go figure. I'll have to find the write up on them, here on JKF, and post the link.
Ok, thanks for your input. I really just wanted a little more from the sound bar anyway. A low cost improvement all the way around would be a bonus. I'll give it a shot!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for your input. I really just wanted a little more from the sound bar anyway. A low cost improvement all the way around would be a bonus. I'll give it a shot!
Looks like you are on the boston acoustic upgrade thread already. See page 1 for the part number, from blade. Try to talk the dealer down,,at the parts dept. i think they star off at $32 each, or so. Got them to go down to $27.

Next upgrade for me is going to be a new deck. Little more power coming out of it than stock deck.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you are on the boston acoustic upgrade thread already. See page 1 for the part number, from blade. Try to talk the dealer down,,at the parts dept. i think they star off at $32 each, or so. Got them to go down to $27. Next upgrade for me is going to be a new deck. Little more power coming out of it than stock deck.
Yes I have seen it but it quickly got skewed with new gear and configurations. Trying to keep it simple as possible to accomplish the goal.

For now I am pretty happy with the head unit as far as functionality. Who knows... These projects always seem to snowball..
Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes I have seen it but it quickly got skewed with new gear and configurations. Trying to keep it simple as possible to accomplish the goal.

For now I am pretty happy with the head unit as far as functionality. Who knows... These projects always seem to snowball..
I hear ya loud and clear. I've been using the stock head unit the whole time and am only thinking of upgrading cuz it's cheap compared to other upgrades I've been looking at.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is this the factory amp that you are talking about running in bridge mode?
No, this is the Alpine amp I added. I do not have the factory premium sound system so there is no factory amp in my Jeep. The Alpine I added is a 4 channel that is bridgeable.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Totally agree with the poly fill also. It did make a difference. I have not heard very good reviews on the Kicker amp so that is why I went with the Alpine instead.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by winkelhawk
No, this is the Alpine amp I added. I do not have the factory premium sound system so there is no factory amp in my Jeep. The Alpine I added is a 4 channel that is bridgeable.
Okay, thanks! I will start with changing out the speakers and polyfilm and then go from there.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible