Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I hear you guys correctly I need to replace the head unit. I was hoping not to loose the functionality in the steering wheel functionality. Really there is no other way?

Yes I am stubborn and do not want to go by the car stereo store. At least only if I don't have to....
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy the harness to retain the steering wheel stuff....and do it all yourself. Crutchfield or best buy are your friends.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls
You can buy the harness to retain the steering wheel stuff....and do it all yourself. Crutchfield or best buy are your friends. Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Yup same with sonic electronix and other online stores, just a stereo shop will know how to accommodate you, And it's free to just shop around ask the guys questions to get detailed info as well as touch the products... It's hard for is to do it on the forum...
Old 10-25-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put a whole new system in my jk. I got a pioneer Mac head unit. Then I got 4 component speakers. I replaced the front speakers and tweeters. Then the speakers in the roll bar and added a set of tweeters in the roll bar. Also I added some poly fill into the speaker bar that helps hold sound and bass better. PM me for me info I'll be more then happy to help out

Sent from my phone that Obama doesn't pay for!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onecrazyfuq
I put a whole new system in my jk. I got a pioneer Mac head unit. Then I got 4 component speakers. I replaced the front speakers and tweeters. Then the speakers in the roll bar and added a set of tweeters in the roll bar. Also I added some poly fill into the speaker bar that helps hold sound and bass better. PM me for me info I'll be more then happy to help out Sent from my phone that Obama doesn't pay for!
Out of curiosity I would be interested in seeing a picture of the tweeters in the sound bar if you don't mind posting.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also read somewhere that the factory radio lowers the volume of the sound bar speakers to keep them from over powering the fronts. I just installed an Alpine KTP-445U amp in my Jeep. It runs off the factory speaker level inputs. It is a nice little amp for $150 and it can be hidden easily under the dash.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by winkelhawk
I also read somewhere that the factory radio lowers the volume of the sound bar speakers to keep them from over powering the fronts. I just installed an Alpine KTP-445U amp in my Jeep. It runs off the factory speaker level inputs. It is a nice little amp for $150 and it can be hidden easily under the dash.
Do you still have your factory setup except for the Alpine amp?

If so, did it solve the problem with the sound bar?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do have the factory stereo but I ran the amp in bridge mode to just power my front component speakers. I want to get a second one to power the sound bar which should fix the low sounds of the rear speakers. The component speakers sound better with 90 watts instead of the 45 watts is produces as a 4 channel amplifier.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was quite unhappy with the infinity "premium" sound that my jeep came with. Read a cool writ up on swapping them out with the dodge Boston acoustic plug n play speakers. For just a little ver $100 I upgraded the 4 speakers. Put poly fill in the sound bar and front dash boxes. I tried the kicker upgrade. They are 4 ohm speakers and the jeep system is 2 ohm. That's why they didn't sound good, running off the factory amp. Anyways, prob the most simple fix for upgrading sound and prob the most cost effective.

Last edited by JC's Unlimited; 10-27-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by winkelhawk
I do have the factory stereo but I ran the amp in bridge mode to just power my front component speakers. I want to get a second one to power the sound bar which should fix the low sounds of the rear speakers. The component speakers sound better with 90 watts instead of the 45 watts is produces as a 4 channel amplifier.
Is this the factory amp that you are talking about running in bridge mode?

Quick Reply: 2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible