Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible

Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible

I have read a number of threads on the board about this issue and it makes little since to me that you would have the same speakers in the front as in the sound bar and the fronts drown out the sound bar. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want the sound bar to be over powering however I do want to be able to adjust with my fade so that I can have a little more sound out from the rear. In my view that is what the fade is for however the setup in the JK is to tone down the front if you want a different balance setup, sacrificing the volume.

The reason why I am putting this out there is that I have the Media Center 430N and infinity sound system and want it as is however I just need some additional kick out of the sound bar. I would like to make minimal changes to the factory setup. If I do make a change I would like for it to be plug-n-play as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong or what I need to change to make this happen?

Lee
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bump... anyone?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same setup and I know what ur talking about..... I'm not too advanced when it comes to stereos but I saw an easy mod that someone here did. They got an extra sound bar and mounted it to the rear roll bar (4door) which I plan on doing and just tap into the other speakers. Plus add the kicker speaker upgrade

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jersey Devil, thanks for your input. That is an interesting thing to do but I don't think that it solves the problem, at least for me. I am really looking for the easiest fix. If that is an amp upgrade I am fine with that but I want to know that is the issue before I start throwing money at it.

Other threads talk about the issue but everyone goes into speaker replacement and amp upgrades without diagnosis of the issue. At least that is what I got out of the threads I read.

Although, I am looking for the easiest fix, I do however plan to try adding polly fill to the speaker cavities to see if it helps the sound quality a bit. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The big problem is off the deck your only running a single output, the. When it hits the stock amp it gets split into front, rear, and sub. The biggest things to get full control of your stereo is a new head unit to get full control of your channels, now you could stay with just a deck and re-wire your speakers but then you get into not having a crossover for the tweeters and an output for the sub. And to take it a step further you could add a small and low powered 5 channel amp (not enough to blow the speakers) which would give you even greater control and sound. You may be able to find some crossovers to control your tweeters for that set up. All in if you go inexpensive on everything you may be looking at $500-600 total investment? And that could be installed if you don't want to tackle it yourself...

I'm running an alpine nav head unit powering my front and rear speakers and a small 100w amp for the sub with stock speakers and it pounds and I'm happy to have my mids in the sound bar tuned properly to give that nice full surround sound..
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdvJeep
The big problem is off the deck your only running a single output, the. When it hits the stock amp it gets split into front, rear, and sub. The biggest things to get full control of your stereo is a new head unit to get full control of your channels, now you could stay with just a deck and re-wire your speakers but then you get into not having a crossover for the tweeters and an output for the sub. And to take it a step further you could add a small and low powered 5 channel amp (not enough to blow the speakers) which would give you even greater control and sound. You may be able to find some crossovers to control your tweeters for that set up. All in if you go inexpensive on everything you may be looking at $500-600 total investment? And that could be installed if you don't want to tackle it yourself... I'm running an alpine nav head unit powering my front and rear speakers and a small 100w amp for the sub with stock speakers and it pounds and I'm happy to have my mids in the sound bar tuned properly to give that nice full surround sound..
I am not planning on upgrading the head unit and speakers, at least for now. I did read about an amp upgrade that plugged into the factory connection that I may be interested in. I believe it was the Kicker 77kicker46. I would like to know if that upgrade would help.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AdvJeep is right about the head unit. I replaced the stock one with a JVC unit and you can hear the sound bar speakers just fine, without having to adjust your fader.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that if I cover up the front tweeters, then the front speakers sound just like the sound-bar speakers. They even seemed to be the same volume. Has anyone tried to hook up a 2nd pair of tweeters off the front pair and install them in the sound bar? I can't imagine that just adding a pair of just tweeters would overload the amp.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLACKJacK
I am not planning on upgrading the head unit and speakers, at least for now. I did read about an amp upgrade that plugged into the factory connection that I may be interested in. I believe it was the Kicker 77kicker46. I would like to know if that upgrade would help.
The kicker amp is similar and doesn't do as much, I suggest going into a good stereo shop they will provide a better understanding of adding a stand alone amp. It's about the only way to make your system sound awesome! You really don't need speakers because the stockers aren't that bad when powered properly.... It's mostly the head unit you choose...
Old 10-25-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvJeep
The big problem is off the deck your only running a single output, the. When it hits the stock amp it gets split into front, rear, and sub. The biggest things to get full control of your stereo is a new head unit to get full control of your channels, now you could stay with just a deck and re-wire your speakers but then you get into not having a crossover for the tweeters and an output for the sub. And to take it a step further you could add a small and low powered 5 channel amp (not enough to blow the speakers) which would give you even greater control and sound. You may be able to find some crossovers to control your tweeters for that set up. All in if you go inexpensive on everything you may be looking at $500-600 total investment? And that could be installed if you don't want to tackle it yourself...

I'm running an alpine nav head unit powering my front and rear speakers and a small 100w amp for the sub with stock speakers and it pounds and I'm happy to have my mids in the sound bar tuned properly to give that nice full surround sound..
The main problem is were used to hearing a stereo with speakers in a door or trunk which give off better sound, where as our speakers are just out there.....at least that's what i attribute it to

Sent from my obama listening device

Quick Reply: 2011 Sound bar drowned out – I want to keep it stock if possible