Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 Rubicon looking for lifts and need some advice.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Rubicon looking for lifts and need some advice.

What I've got:
I have a 4 door, manual transmission, 2011 Rubicon. I've recently installed a smittybily SRC JK Front Bumper and smittybilt XRC10 winch.

What I want for now:
3" lift

What I want later:
35" tires after my stock BF's are worn out. (unless I can find someone to buy them now for a decent price )

What I want to do with my Jeep:
  • Drive it on the road! This is my daily driver so at minimum stock 'comfort' is required. (per the wife)
  • Rausch Creek in PA within the next month or so.
  • I want to eventually go for a rubicon trail trip though not anytime soon. I have a baby on the way so it will be a few years.
  • I bought this car as a daily driver and potential BOV (Bug Out Vehicle). I want to do be able to get out of dodge and get to where I need to go without having to worry about roads.

Lift Kits I'm interested in:
  • OME JK Lift Kit: $639.95
    • Cheapest of the bunch I'm interested in. Saw the writeup here on Project-JK.
    • My main question is why is this kit suggested if you "have no plans of ever going taller in the future"? This isn't a deal breaker for me but more of a concern. Right now my future plans are 3" with 35" tires, but who knows in a few years.
    • Can anyone who owns this kit chime in with your opinions?
  • TeraFlex JK Wrangler 3in Lift Kit w/Shocks : $973.99
    • What draws me to this kit is it's support from Teraflex. They are all over these forums with great customer service and seem to be very responsive.
    • Does anyone else have this kit? Is there a Teraflex kit that would be better suited for my goals?
  • 3.0" Premium Plus “No Maintenance” Lift: $1199.95
    • I like the 'no-maintenance' marketing but my understanding is that this is just rubber vs. poly bushings, correct?

• TeraFlex JK 3in Suspension System w/Full FlexArm System & Shocks: $2174.99
    • Everything at once. My idea here is that doing it all now, will save me pain and trouble later. I found this is generally true with everything else in life. Perhaps suspension upgrades as well?

My concerns:
  1. Problems with other parts of the vehicle as a result of the lift installation
  2. Problems with warranty work and general service at the stealership
  3. Death Wobble!
  4. Daily Drivability. Loss of power, agility, MPG, etc.

I don't have a problem saving up and spending the money to do this right the first time if it will prevent me from constantly servicing my rig to upgrade parts on a cheaper kit. I also prefer to do it right the first time and avoid any of my above listed concerns.

If anyone can offer their advice to alleviate my concerns by providing suggestions for the proper kit OR just tell me it's not worth the trouble, it would be much appreciated. I'm all ears! (or eyes, in this case)

Thanks!

Last edited by thedaego; 10-05-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: list fix
Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the tera 3" on my last JK and it was fantastic on and off the road. Joe from teraflex is always around and always ready to help. Incredible customer service. I dunno anything about the FT maintenance free kit but I will tell you that in my experience something has to wear if you have parts moving against each other. If it doesnt have grease in it then what is displacing the friction? OME makes fantastic stuff but they dont make any arms or anything. They are not easily accessible for questions either.

I dunno how much you care about offroading or keeping our trails open and usable but I know for a fact that Teraflex is active in cleaning up trails and also does great stuff for kids like parade entries. I like supporting an american company that gives so much back to the offroad community.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thedaego
What I've got:
I have a 4 door, manual transmission, 2011 Rubicon. I've recently installed a smittybily SRC JK Front Bumper and smittybilt XRC10 winch.

What I want for now:
3" lift

What I want later:
35" tires after my stock BF's are worn out. (unless I can find someone to buy them now for a decent price )

What I want to do with my Jeep:
  • Drive it on the road! This is my daily driver so at minimum stock 'comfort' is required. (per the wife)
  • Rausch Creek in PA within the next month or so.
  • I want to eventually go for a rubicon trail trip though not anytime soon. I have a baby on the way so it will be a few years.
  • I bought this car as a daily driver and potential BOV (Bug Out Vehicle). I want to do be able to get out of dodge and get to where I need to go without having to worry about roads.

Lift Kits I'm interested in:
  • OME JK Lift Kit: $639.95
    • Cheapest of the bunch I'm interested in. Saw the writeup here on Project-JK.
    • My main question is why is this kit suggested if you "have no plans of ever going taller in the future"? This isn't a deal breaker for me but more of a concern. Right now my future plans are 3" with 35" tires, but who knows in a few years.
    • Can anyone who owns this kit chime in with your opinions?
  • TeraFlex JK Wrangler 3in Lift Kit w/Shocks : $973.99
    • What draws me to this kit is it's support from Teraflex. They are all over these forums with great customer service and seem to be very responsive.
    • Does anyone else have this kit? Is there a Teraflex kit that would be better suited for my goals?
  • 3.0" Premium Plus “No Maintenance” Lift: $1199.95
    • I like the 'no-maintenance' marketing but my understanding is that this is just rubber vs. poly bushings, correct?

• TeraFlex JK 3in Suspension System w/Full FlexArm System & Shocks: $2174.99
    • Everything at once. My idea here is that doing it all now, will save me pain and trouble later. I found this is generally true with everything else in life. Perhaps suspension upgrades as well?

My concerns:
  1. Problems with other parts of the vehicle as a result of the lift installation
  2. Problems with warranty work and general service at the stealership
  3. Death Wobble!
  4. Daily Drivability. Loss of power, agility, MPG, etc.

I don't have a problem saving up and spending the money to do this right the first time if it will prevent me from constantly servicing my rig to upgrade parts on a cheaper kit. I also prefer to do it right the first time and avoid any of my above listed concerns.

If anyone can offer their advice to alleviate my concerns by providing suggestions for the proper kit OR just tell me it's not worth the trouble, it would be much appreciated. I'm all ears! (or eyes, in this case)

Thanks!
First off let me welcome you to jk-forum.com!! Thank you for considering TeraFlex suspension systems for your new JK. Have your looked at the #1256200 $1631.99 kit? It has front lower adj and rear upper arms. I would suggest that kit along with a TeraFlex FORGED front Trackbar #1753418. With a proper installation you can avoid deathwobble. If you have any questions or concerns about TeraFlex product, give me a call.

Quick Reply: 2011 Rubicon looking for lifts and need some advice.