Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 JKU Steering Issue

Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Chichirone
Endless options is what I was afraid of! Ha!

Appreciate your recommendations. I'm still waiting for an update from the shop to learn diagnosis. I'll research the suggestions to be prepared for the possibilities and shoot out a few questions if I find myself struggling. Thanks for the help.
Well, if you need to replace the drag link, the cheapest replacement is probably gonna be the Moog option. It's part # DS300005 and it's ~$55. The websites will refer to that as a "tie rod end", but that is actually the drag link. It is greasable and simply screws in to the factory turnbuckle. Any upgraded after market DL is going to run closer to $200 or more depending on which one. I presume you just have a factory DL right now and therefore have not flipped the DL.

2007-2016 Jeep Wrangler Tie Rod End - Moog DS300005 - Right Upper Outer - PartsGeek.com

As mentioned, the Rock Krawler TB is on the lower end price wise, but is a great TB. Runs about $143 and free shipping with the "jkforum" discount from Northridge4x4.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...rack-bar-front

and should you be interested in reinforcing that frame side TB bracket, here are the Synergy and Ace brackets -

ACE Engineering ACEJKTBS Front Track Bar Support for 07-17 Jeep® Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited JK | Quadratec

https://www.amazon.com/Synergy-Manuf.../dp/B00HNGBNS2
Old 01-27-2017, 04:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Huge start to research. Much appreciated.

Talked to the shop yesterday and the suspension and steering was taken back apart and put back together. Everything re-torqued. Seems like something must have been loose after they put it back together the first time so darting is gone but now another issue showed up.

Now the steering will not return to center. They are tearing into the steering box, steering shaft, pittman arm assembly. Any feelings on why this issue could now be present? Also, wondering if the alignment specs could have something to do with the steering issue.

Jay
Old 01-27-2017, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chichirone
Thanks for the info. Huge start to research. Much appreciated.

Talked to the shop yesterday and the suspension and steering was taken back apart and put back together. Everything re-torqued. Seems like something must have been loose after they put it back together the first time so darting is gone but now another issue showed up.

Now the steering will not return to center. They are tearing into the steering box, steering shaft, pittman arm assembly. Any feelings on why this issue could now be present? Also, wondering if the alignment specs could have something to do with the steering issue.

Jay
If I'm being honest, this "shop" sounds like a complete cluster F. What kind of ball joints did you put in? If they are aftermarket BJs like Synergy, Tereflex or whatnot, it is common that you're going to see a break in period in the range of 500 - 1500 miles before the steering stops feeling tight. They should also know this.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would go so far as to say you would be a lot better off with the help of other local forum members like Shawnphi1 who offered to help earlier in the thread. Someone who actually has a jeep and understands our steering, suspension, and common problems. On top of meeting some new folks, you'd pick up some valuable information along the way too. Dealers are worthless for the most part, and as this thread is showing, a lot of shops aren't a whole lot better....especially if they don't focus mainly on jeeps.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Completely agree!! I don't use Trails West for labor after they given me price quotes on items such as gears and lifts, way over priced!!! They wanted almost $1800/axle for gears and a basic 2.5" lift was $1500 in labor that took me only 5 hrs to do myself with basic tools. They didn't sound convincing to me when speaking to them about Jeep stuff. They are more about trucks!!! I've installed everything on my Jeep myself. So feel free to contact me for advice or help since I'm close by.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by shawnphi1
They wanted almost $1800/axle for gears and a basic 2.5" lift was $1500 in labor
That is beyond comical.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If I'm being honest, this "shop" sounds like a complete cluster F. What kind of ball joints did you put in? If they are aftermarket BJs like Synergy, Tereflex or whatnot, it is common that you're going to see a break in period in the range of 500 - 1500 miles before the steering stops feeling tight. They should also know this.
Appreciate the candor. I agree with you. I felt very confident about Trails West 4x4 from a great experience with them in the past with my old CJ7 and Wrangler. However, I drove away this time feeling very uncomfortable after picking up my Jeep when the ball joints and other repairs were completed. I just had a weird bad feeling something was not right. Problem is, I am new to the area, went with what I knew and should have posted on the forum way earlier than a day or two before I decided to take my Jeep there. Tough lesson and I am somewhat embarrassed/pissed about what I am dealing with now.

OE replacement Daystar ball joints were installed. I really did not have much input and so they just replaced with a lifetime warranty ball joint. I was traveling at the time and did not have enough input to the parts the shop used.

I did not know there was a break in period for the ball joints nor did the shop provide guidance I would experience a tight feel. Now, they are tearing into the steering box trying to determine the cause of a tight return to center feel when in fact the issue is likely the break in period of the BJs. I just want to get my Jeep back and take Shawnphi1 up on the offer to help me out.

Thanks again to you guys for providing support and your knowledge.

Last edited by Chichirone; 01-27-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

I decided to just go pick up the Jeep from the shop and stop the madness.

I drove it with a tech and the loose feel is gone. I swear the DL or something in the steering was not properly tightened and after they pulled the suspension and steering back apart and reassembled, the shimmy/dartiness is gone and the steering, although tight, is not "bound up" like when I first drove away. I am more comfortable driving the Jeep now and my wife immediately noticed I was not chasing the wheel or "all over the road" like the last time she was in the Jeep.

Now that this is somewhat behind me, I am ready to enjoy the Jeep for a while and research more mods as time and budget allow. Thinking bumpers/winch combo but I just can't seem to find a front bumper and rear bumper combo I like though. Bartact seat covers. Additional lighting. Sway bar disconnects. I also want to get my wheels redone (powder coated or plasti-dipped). I have had a vision for an old school Renegade or Golden Eagle decals for my Jeep for some time. Interested in your thoughts if you have suggestions.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

So looking at my Jeep last night, I see this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2208333435.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	665604

Broken bump stop in the spring.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Is it broken or fell out? Maybe fell out, because they did not insert it in properly or all the way.

Quick Reply: 2011 JKU Steering Issue