Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 JKU Steering Issue

Old 01-23-2017, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 JKU Steering Issue

I had a local shop change the ball joints, steering stabilizer (old one was leaking), new 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s and torque the entire steering/suspension system on my 2011 JKU.

The good news...wobble and shimmy is fixed. Jeep runs super quiet and smooth.

Bad news...there is a knock in the steering when turning back and forth 10-2 and when driving down the road the Jeep will dart across the lane. It's quite a handful. I reviewed planmans videos and seems the passenger end drag link is the source of the knock by visual inspection and feel. It has movement up and down when turning back and forth just like the Jeep in planmans video. Would this symptom I'm experiencing sound like a bad draglink? This is my first experience with a steering problem on my JK so curious what more experienced members can relate to my hypothesis. Or could there be an additional issue such as a track bar concern? Would be interested in others feedback.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did u have issue BEFORE the shop worked on it? Sounds like it could be a front track bar issue of hole being wallowed out. Did u inspect track bar? When suspension was retorqued, was Jeep on the ground on its own weight then torqued?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

I was experiencing a wobble (not death wobble) and/or shimmy but not the darting across the lane. The steering feels like there is something loose. The steering wheel is either held to the left or the right to keep the Jeep straight. I'm chasing the front end if that makes sense.

I'm not sure if the shop re-torqued on the ground. I inspected the track bar but did not see any movement or hear/feel the vibration like the drag link but I'm a noob to this issue/diagnosis. Just want to make sure I'm focusing on the right issues and not throwing money at "fixes".
Old 01-24-2017, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Hey man. First off, great job locating those videos and taking a good look at them. You know how many people start firing off questions before watching those? I would start by confirming the torque on all the suspension bolts, especially the TB. If you confirm the torque on the DL and there is still up/down movement, that joint is bad. I had a bad DL joint before and the only symptom was some bad bump steer, but it seems others have had that make a clunk noise. a noise typically makes me think loose bolt somewhere. You may have very well had a bad DL at the same time as the BJs, and just didn't notice it until the BJs were replaced.

I see you're in Keller. I'm just a little west of town in Willow Park on I-30. If you need some help just let me know.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Those videos are excellent in diagnosing the common issues. Especially for someone unfamiliar with what all is taking place in the steering and suspension up front of these rigs.

My wife and I moved to Columbus, OH or I'd have you come lend me a hand for certain.

I took the Jeep back to the shop. Waiting on an update after I gave them all the possible diagnoses from the forum feedback. Fingers crossed it's the DL and not the trackbar. Actually fingers crossed the shop identifies the issue and resolves it this time!

Out of curiosity, is there an upgrade opportunity for either the DL or TB I should consider if indeed either is identified as the source of the issue? Or should I just have them replace with existing components? How would you guys handle this?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

If u need any future help with ur Jeep, I live in Columbus, OH too near Easton!! Be glad to lend a hand to a fellow jeeper!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by Chichirone
Out of curiosity, is there an upgrade opportunity for either the DL or TB I should consider if indeed either is identified as the source of the issue? Or should I just have them replace with existing components? How would you guys handle this?
The upgrade options are endless, but a lot of that has to due with how you use the jeep. If you still have factory DL and TB, you're better off replacing with after market parts if need be. If you need to replace the DL, even a Moog replacement would be better than factory as you can at least grease the joint. Those run ~60 or so and just screw in to the factory turnbuckle. If you want to replace with an even better component, there are dozens out there and a lot of it is just preference. Same with the TB. RK makes a good TB and is on the lower end price wise ~ $160. Synergy has recently updated their joints on both ends...cost a decent bit more but their method of adjusting the length is a bit more convenient. If the bolt hole on the frame side TB mount is wallowing out at all, good idea to reinforce that as well with a bracket....either Synergy, Ace, or another manufacture's.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shawnphi1
If u need any future help with ur Jeep, I live in Columbus, OH too near Easton!! Be glad to lend a hand to a fellow jeeper!!!
Thanks a bunch.

Side note: where have you found any trails near us?

Jay
Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
The upgrade options are endless, but a lot of that has to due with how you use the jeep. If you still have factory DL and TB, you're better off replacing with after market parts if need be. If you need to replace the DL, even a Moog replacement would be better than factory as you can at least grease the joint. Those run ~60 or so and just screw in to the factory turnbuckle. If you want to replace with an even better component, there are dozens out there and a lot of it is just preference. Same with the TB. RK makes a good TB and is on the lower end price wise ~ $160. Synergy has recently updated their joints on both ends...cost a decent bit more but their method of adjusting the length is a bit more convenient. If the bolt hole on the frame side TB mount is wallowing out at all, good idea to reinforce that as well with a bracket....either Synergy, Ace, or another manufacture's.
Endless options is what I was afraid of! Ha!

Appreciate your recommendations. I'm still waiting for an update from the shop to learn diagnosis. I'll research the suggestions to be prepared for the possibilities and shoot out a few questions if I find myself struggling. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

There isn't much around us that I know of without driving about 1-2 hrs away. There's places outside zanesville area and south past Logan is a couple places I go with a friend.

Quick Reply: 2011 JKU Steering Issue