Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 JK Rubicon lift issues

Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 JK Rubicon lift issues

Hey everyone! Im pretty new to the JK scene (had a 1999 TJ 6" LA) and Im looking to buy a lift for it. Im planning on getting either the RK 2.5 max travel or possibly the 3.5 flex with Fox shocks and 35's (to be upgraded to max travel at some point.) By the way I have a manual transmission.

My questions are:

Will there be any driveshaft issues with the 2.5 MT, 3.5 Flex? (length or rubbing)

Will there be any additional parts I will require?

I have HD D44's front and rear 4.10 gears, will the axles hold up with moderate NJ wheeling (mud, sand, light rocks)

I have searched many threads to find out the driveshaft questions but they are all 2012+. I like the idea of the 3.5 because once this isnt my daily driver i plan to go bigger than 35" tires. saves money in the long run. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are some faq's right at the top of this modified area with some decent information, and there is a driveshaft thread on this first page just a few down from your thread. The gist of the driveshaft issue is, too many variable to know whether you will or won't have a problem, we would be guessing. In general, the higher you go, the more likely it will be. Disconnected and flexing, more likely than if you are just mall crawling. Longer shocks, more likely than shorter shocks. 2door, more likely than 4door. etc, etc.

Additional parts are preference, not requirement. Drive it and see what you think before throwing money at new parts that you aren't even sure what they do.

Gearing is another preference, and depends on location, usage, model, transmission, engine, etc, etc.

Oh, and your HD44 axle housings have the same specs as the nice little d30 on the non-rubicon. Only the internals are upgraded...

Last edited by nthinuf; 09-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJeep795
Hey everyone! Im pretty new to the JK scene (had a 1999 TJ 6" LA) and Im looking to buy a lift for it. Im planning on getting either the RK 2.5 max travel or possibly the 3.5 flex with Fox shocks and 35's (to be upgraded to max travel at some point.) By the way I have a manual transmission.

My questions are:

Will there be any driveshaft issues with the 2.5 MT, 3.5 Flex? (length or rubbing)

Will there be any additional parts I will require?

I have HD D44's front and rear 4.10 gears, will the axles hold up with moderate NJ wheeling (mud, sand, light rocks)

I have searched many threads to find out the driveshaft questions but they are all 2012+. I like the idea of the 3.5 because once this isnt my daily driver i plan to go bigger than 35" tires. saves money in the long run. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I assume you have a two door and not four door. With the two door you can go to 2.5" height with no issues at all. The drive shafts don't need to be changed with the manual.

If you go to 3.5" on a two door then you might want to consider moving into a kit like the Max Travel or the X Factor. The Max Travel is the most complete kit RK offers because it comes with all 8 arms and the Ultimate Steering Kit, which flips your drag link to eliminate the possibility of bump steer. The advantage of having all 8 arms is that you are able to adjust your caster, thrust, and both front and rear pinion angles. This allows you to really fine tune the set up. These kits also utilize the longer rear control arms which will recenter the axle in the wheel well. This allows you to run a larger tire and not have to cut that pinch seam that Jeep left for us.

The only additional parts that you will need with either of these kits would be bump stops, and possibly limit straps. Both of these will help protect your shocks.

If you would like to discuss anything in greater detail or would like a quote feel free to PM us.

Quick Reply: 2011 JK Rubicon lift issues