Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Re-gear

Old 11-30-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Re-gear

Hello and thanks in advance for any responses! I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited AUTO with max tow package (3.73). It's got a 2.5" terraflex coil lift and 33" Nitto trail grappler and lots of other exterior mods bumpers etc. Anyways I just purchased a 2015 Forest river R-pod The camper weighs 2565 completely dry. I towed it home today from Western Maryland. I knew it was gonna be a dog coming through the mountains and it was. I have decided to regear and am looking a putting in 4.88 gearing. Any thoughts? should I go with 4.88 or 5.13?
Old 11-30-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Search...way too many threads on here

Sent from my dogs cell phone
Old 11-30-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Are you ever going to taller tires? Typical freeway speeds and distance? How much hill/mountain time?

Open the FAQ's stuck right to the top of this modified area and scroll down to the rpm charts. Use actual measured tire height, not mfg spec. For a so-so comparison, jump on the freeway and press the OD/Off button. That should get your rpm's up into the 2700ish range at 70 mph (equal to 5.38's with your current tires on the chart? or a bit over 100 rpm more than you would see with 5.13's.)
Old 12-01-2014, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Are you ever going to taller tires? Typical freeway speeds and distance? How much hill/mountain time?

Open the FAQ's stuck right to the top of this modified area and scroll down to the rpm charts. Use actual measured tire height, not mfg spec. For a so-so comparison, jump on the freeway and press the OD/Off button. That should get your rpm's up into the 2700ish range at 70 mph (equal to 5.38's with your current tires on the chart? or a bit over 100 rpm more than you would see with 5.13's.)
Hey thanks for your reply! I tried to use the FAQ but kee p receiveing the " Well thas embarrasing , the page requested was not found" message. To answer your question. I'm stickng with 33's. I'm gong to be traveling cross country with my camper and about a 40/60 splt on mountain/flat road driving.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Don't click the links, just scroll down. All of the sections are there.

Is it safe to assume that your 33's measure about 32" at typical inflation and load? If so, use 32 in the chart, and then try to decide what a comfortable freeway rpm will be. (this is where OD/Off will be useful, as it will put you fairly close to what 5.13's will feel like). Some people at sea level on completely flat roads can get away with less rpm/hp/torque, and those at altitude or who drive lots of hills or live in windy areas may like higher rpm's. And typical speeds play a factor also. The hp needed to maintain 50 or 60 mph is a lot different than what is needed to maintain 80 mph.

But, from looking at the chart, you will see that there isn't a huge difference between the 4.88's and 5.13's, it's only like 125 rpm at 70. So either will work fine, it will just depend on 'your' opinion of where you want the rpm's to be. (as noted in the first reply you got, this question is asked on a daily basis, so there are literally a thousand different threads to read through for opinions. Just be sure to note the specifics of who is replying to make sure they have the same engine/transmission, similar altitude, similar driving conditions, etc. Replies from people with a 3.6, or a 3.8 manual, won't be very useful to you...)

I personally like higher rpm's, but I spend most of my time at altitude. For my 3.8 auto 4door, I ran 5.13's with both 33's (32" measured) and 35's (33.5"). And then swapped to 5.38's with the 35's, and finally moved up to 37's (35.5").
Old 12-01-2014, 02:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Don't click the links, just scroll down. All of the sections are there.

Is it safe to assume that your 33's measure about 32" at typical inflation and load? If so, use 32 in the chart, and then try to decide what a comfortable freeway rpm will be. (this is where OD/Off will be useful, as it will put you fairly close to what 5.13's will feel like). Some people at sea level on completely flat roads can get away with less rpm/hp/torque, and those at altitude or who drive lots of hills or live in windy areas may like higher rpm's. And typical speeds play a factor also. The hp needed to maintain 50 or 60 mph is a lot different than what is needed to maintain 80 mph.

But, from looking at the chart, you will see that there isn't a huge difference between the 4.88's and 5.13's, it's only like 125 rpm at 70. So either will work fine, it will just depend on 'your' opinion of where you want the rpm's to be. (as noted in the first reply you got, this question is asked on a daily basis, so there are literally a thousand different threads to read through for opinions. Just be sure to note the specifics of who is replying to make sure they have the same engine/transmission, similar altitude, similar driving conditions, etc. Replies from people with a 3.6, or a 3.8 manual, won't be very useful to you...)

I personally like higher rpm's, but I spend most of my time at altitude. For my 3.8 auto 4door, I ran 5.13's with both 33's (32" measured) and 35's (33.5"). And then swapped to 5.38's with the 35's, and finally moved up to 37's (35.5").
Hey thanks! I've decided to go regear to the 4.88. It looks to be in the rpm range I want to be with the height of my tires.

Quick Reply: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Re-gear