Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2011 auto transmission problems

Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 auto transmission problems

I have a 2011 automatic with 60000 miles. A few days ago my transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear and it just revved out to 2000 rpm and I wasn't even going over 15 mph heard grinding and rubbing noise coming from under the the jeep. Is this limp mode? No check engine light but I have noticed that the ESP and abs light comes on every now an then but eventually turns off along with the hill decent mode flashing. I didn't want to drive it anymore so i parked it for a day. Came back a day later and it runs fine. Not sure if I can trust it going for a long drive and getting stranded. I have a 5 inch lift and 37s. seems like these jeeps don't like long trips modified like this. I just got back from a 1800 mile trip. The previous long trip with my jeep my transfer case exploded the double cardigan came apart and took the Tcase with it. Any ideas what going on with it? After a little research seems like I need a new speed sensor can this be causing all this craziness?

thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The grinding you heard is probably the ABS/ESP kicking in due to the lift making the steering off a little bit. Could also be a bad ABS wheel sensor lead. Either way, the ABS/ESP kicking in can also bring in reduced throttle response.

Did you lose the t-case after the 5" lift? If so, you should have heard some drive-line vibration before it exploded.
Here is the recipe for such a disaster:
Lifted
Drive shaft with double cardan at the t-case.
Front pinion more than 1 or 2 degrees from being aligned with drive shaft
Highway speed
Ignoring front drive-line vibration
Old 12-02-2015, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Yes the Tcase exploded after the 5" lift. I was on my way to the shop to figure out the whine and vibration was when the drive shaft came apart. Is there anyway to go away from the double cardigan at the Tcase? I have a tom woods front drive shaft now.

Last edited by ABNMEDIC; 12-02-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: none
Old 12-02-2015, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

Wait..... a double cardan style driveshaft will CAUSE problems with a lift? I thought this is what you wanted when you got a lift?????
Old 12-02-2015, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

What was your caster setting before your ds and t-case let go? This is why I wish I could afford an after market axle that has additional caster built into the axle itself!

Last edited by GunDude; 12-02-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Wait..... a double cardan style driveshaft will CAUSE problems with a lift? I thought this is what you wanted when you got a lift?????
A double cardan at the t-case needs to have the single cardan on the other end be very close to straight. In other words, the front pinion needs to be in-line with the drive shaft.
The problem is, making that so, you lose caster.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Any idea whats going on with my transmission episode?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

You might want to flush transfer case and transmission! Might be picking up left over metal particles from former incident? Lights coming on something different.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ABNMEDIC
Any idea whats going on with my transmission episode?
Yes. I mentioned the grinding you heard could be the ABS/ESP kicking in, accompanied by a programmed reduction in throttle response.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Why is it going into limp mode when the check engine light isnt on? It wouldnt even shift up a gear is that the programmed reduction in throttle response?

Quick Reply: 2011 auto transmission problems