Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2010 rubicon lift kit question

Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 rubicon lift kit question

hey all,

just getting started with looking at lift kits. i really like the 3.5" teraflex lift kit options. my question is with the rubicon's electronic sway bar and axle disconnect. when i buy a lift kit is there anything specific to look for that i can still keep the electronic disconnects working really well. i am not really that knowledgeable on long-arm lift kits vs just the standard 3.5 or 4" kit with shocks included. obviously the long-arm kits are very expensive but for my recreational use would that even be necessary??

can i get away with just buying a kit with the shocks included or would i need to look for the long-arm kits? what exactly is the long arm part of the lift kit? i'm not a very serious off-roader but i do take my every other weekend trip to the mountains and hit some trails and rocks.

thanks for any info!

if this is any help, i plan on getting some soft 8 steel wheels and 35" tires. i wouldn't get any bigger than 35" tires (at least for now).
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been wondering the same thing about my '09 Rubi and the elec. sway bar disco's...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the elec disco should work with any disconector, you don't need a LA kit to have a very nice lift, adjustable short arms can work really well up to 4" the long arm of the kit is actually a longer arm than regular teraflex is a very good brand, I don't know what else to say so many questions, is really not that complicated once you understand lifts. you can get away with springs shocks a pair of longer conectors and track bar brackets, and move on from there. also relock brackets for the brakes shoot i just made this complicated.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just had the 3" kit installed on an 08 and a 10. The kit had provisions for the swaybar length. That is one reason I liked the TF kit, is was very complete. For control arms, I just did the front lower control arms and the rest is stock, and it seems to be fine and is all you really need. Full flex arms or a long arm kit are just upgrades from there to give you more articulation, etc.. I would also do the front track bar if you fit it into your budget to center your axle. Also, my experience is with the unlimited, the 2 door may need other options.

Last edited by utjeeper; 03-05-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

other than the rate of the springs there is nothing different between a lift kit for a two doors vs 4 door.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default No difference

Originally Posted by robin
other than the rate of the springs there is nothing different between a lift kit for a two doors vs 4 door.
I have been toying with the same idea as the original poster. How about driveline extensions? I hear that with the 2 door it is highly recommended on any lift over 3" and with the TF system (which is the one I want) it may indeed lift the Jeep as much as 4 or 5" depending on weight in accessories? Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 AM
JK Super Freak

you will def need driveshafts over 3" prob rear and front on a 2 dr (auto for sure). the biggest thing with the edico on the rubi is to make sure your swaybar is sitting just slightly above level. if not you will do some damage. i got adjustable front and rear swaybar links to correct it and have not had a problem (you wont need disconncts with a rubi just adjustable). however i now have a trans pan leak due to not replacing my drive shaft in the front. now it costs me a drive shaft and some time and hassle to seal the trans pan. should have done the drive shaft from the start.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

You will definitely need a rear driveshaft on a 2 door and you will on the front if you have an auto but should get one anyway if manual. Good luck on your lift!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Just added a 2.5" TF coil and e-disco wont engage

As mentioned in my title, I just put on the TF 2.5" coil lift and now can't get my e-disco to engage. The light continues to blink and I can hear the motor to it running, but for some reason it just won't engage fully. Any ideas to why this is...?

Quick Reply: 2010 rubicon lift kit question