Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited Lift??

Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited Lift??

What are the differences between Coil Lift, Short Arm, Mid Arm, & Long Arm, and what are the pitfalls and benefits of each?

Also, I saw in the FAQ's For Newbies, that a lift with that comes with Cam Bolts, is not recommended and you should use adjustable upper or lower front control arms to reset the caster. The MOPAR 2" Performance Kit comes with cam bolts. This is the kit I was going to buy until I saw the post about not using cam bolts. The post talks about having to notch out the lower control arm mounts.

What I really want to do is run 35" tires. Install a top quality suspension lift to get the room and increase articulation. I don't want to use a budget lift (spacers only), nor do want to modify by cutting or welding on my jeep.

What is the absolute best way to go to maintain stability for on road and good offroad performance as well?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by swrosier
What are the differences between Coil Lift, Short Arm, Mid Arm, & Long Arm, and what are the pitfalls and benefits of each?
with the exception of coil spacers, all lift kits come with coils that are taller than factory. unless you cut off the OEM brackets and install new ones further back on the frame, all the lift kits come with what are considered short arms. long arms would require the above steps mentioned. the only reason to go long arm is if you're going really big (over 4" of lift) as they would help to correct your suspension geometry to be closer to stock and this will greatly help to improve ON ROAD ride. the pitfalls of not going long arm is that your suspension geometry will be significantly off and this will make your jeep ride a bit off. the pitfalls of a long arm kit is that they are expensive and require a lot of work to get installed.

Also, I saw in the FAQ's For Newbies, that a lift with that comes with Cam Bolts, is not recommended and you should use adjustable upper or lower front control arms to reset the caster. The MOPAR 2" Performance Kit comes with cam bolts. This is the kit I was going to buy until I saw the post about not using cam bolts. The post talks about having to notch out the lower control arm mounts.

What I really want to do is run 35" tires. Install a top quality suspension lift to get the room and increase articulation. I don't want to use a budget lift (spacers only), nor do want to modify by cutting or welding on my jeep.

What is the absolute best way to go to maintain stability for on road and good offroad performance as well?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
if you're just looking to get a 2" lift, install it and leave the cam bolts out. they are not needed for that small of a lift. if you feel your jeep is a bit flighty after the lift, install a set of adjustable lower control arms and set them to about 23" eye to eye as this will add a bit more positive caster and help things out.

Quick Reply: 2008 JK Rubicon Unlimited Lift??