Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2008 Jeep JK Soft Top: Seeking Tips on summer mod's (non perm)

Old 04-21-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2008 Jeep JK Soft Top: Seeking Tips on summer mod's (non perm)

I've had my Jk for about year now and have been through the trials of both Summer and Winter in Colorado. The big things ive noticed:
-Storage is extremely limite
-It will rain without notice in the rockies
-Soft tops are fine in the winter but ugly in the summer

Throughout the year I've tinkered with small mods ( Taking off roof and bracket, unplugging water draiinage, taking the hex's out of the doors) all without perminent modifications done.

What i am looking to do is set myself up for a good summer of Jeeping and I am looking for advice. My idea is to get a brief top cover to protect the cab but im up in the air with a dust cover or not. I really want to take off the entire soft-top system including the hardware but feel like im leaving myself exposed. This is my daily driver and the last thing i want to do is ruin this vehicle. I ideally would like to have a summer setup i can set in May and leave unadjusted through September.

My questions are:
- by removing the carpet and leaving the cargo area completely exposed, will I leave my Jeep vulnerable to rusting? Or is it wise just to splurge on the cargo cover?
-is there a negative to unplugging the water drainage? (im thinking during the winter it may have some issue)
- Will a Brief top, and cargo cover provide protection for my interior during the late spring-autumn ( temps from 40-110, 15% chance of rain) or should i also look into a wind blocker
- has anyone had success in using the hinges left from door removal for any function purpose? (ie using them to put on temp mirrors, fishing gear etc
-the benefits of Hitch mounted exterior cargo VS a Bestop Universal Rack (elevated)
- any other cargo suggestions that wont break the bank?
- Will a cargo net on top of the cargo cover be overkill?

Im in the rockies camping usually twice a month in the summer and fishing hiking or riding at least twice a week. I know i can spend thousands on parts but id like to get some creative ideas as well as some reviews of experiences in similar projects. Im looking to spend under $500 on all my summer mods after already buying new tires, breaks and the soundbar.

I appreciate the time to read this lengthy post and look forward to any responses.

Last edited by Jeffd123; 04-21-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, here is what I do. I take the doors off and just put the top down - I leave it attached to the Jeep. If it rains, I pop it up and it shields well enough, even while driving. If it is nice, I drop it down. Not the cleanest look, but it is there if I need it. I usually leave the doors off all summer - I park in a car port at night/when I'm not using it.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I am thinking about doing the same, and just get a Bestop rain cover for when it does not look like rain. But, in the the the South could change in an hour , and my soft top is about to fall apart from putting up and down all the time.
I am thinking about getting a Bestop NX, which is frameless, and hides better from what I have read, and just cover when not in use with the Bestop rain cover.
I took my carpet out week after I bought it and no issue with rust, but has never really gotten wet, other than what leaks in. You can leave one drain plug open on each side if you want.
Still riding with hard top on, not going to even try to put stock soft top back on.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

In regards to keeping the soft-top on all summer, thats what Im trying to avoid doing. It not a hassel at all to handle i just would rather another option as its not asthetically pleasing.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the doors, top and carpet. Run a bikini top all summer. It will keep the rain out of the main cab, and there is really very little chance of the cargo area rusting unless water was able to sit without draining for a significant amount of time (i.e. damp carpet with plugs in). Throw a set of harley mirrors in the door hinges and call it a day.

If you really want some added protection, pick up a set of best top soft doors to keep the rain off your face while you drive, or toss them in the back when its sunny.

Quick Reply: 2008 Jeep JK Soft Top: Seeking Tips on summer mod's (non perm)