Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2008 3.8L Camshaft Position Sensor and Cooling Troubleshooting

Old Today | 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Default 2008 3.8L Camshaft Position Sensor and Cooling Troubleshooting

It's been about ten years since I've posted, but I'm starting this thread to help anyone who is troubleshooting the same issues that I'm working through now. Hopefully we can get some smart mechanics to give their input as well.

Most problems on these Jeeps are straightforward, and can be diagnosed and repaired with google, forums and youtube.

What seems to always be the most difficult is when multiple problems, and their resultant DTC's and dash lights all present at once. I find myself searching for the root cause to avoid throwing parts at the problem, and it's not always easy for a non-professional mechanic.

I'll detail chronologically how my current issue presented in the Jeep, where it's currently sitting, and what my repair plan is. I'll either change course if someone recommends a different approach, or update this thread once I've finished my repair plan, successfully or not.

Vehicle is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited, 3.8L V6 with 215,000 miles.

So, first things first:

1. Code P0116: This is "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Performance." After getting the radiator flushed at a local shop, this code presented. It also sounded like my radiator fan would kick on for about ten seconds, and then kick off. The engine temp gauge also showed a consistent slightly cold temperature once warmed up, at the 11 to 11:30 position.
2. Then, Code P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 1, Sensor 1 and P0344: Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent - Bank 1, Sensor 1. The jeep also struggled to start, getting progressively worse as the vehicle heated up, taking up to 5 seconds of cranking to start.

This initially didn't affect the Jeep's driving. My plan was to replace both sensors after getting back from a 6 hour highway drive.

At the 3 hour mark, the Jeep then entered what I assume is "limp mode". The transmission would not downshift lower than 3rd. RPM's were obviously high, at 3K, at 50 mph. The Traction Control light also came on the dash, and would not respond to manually pressing the traction control button.

So, I limped along for about an hour, and got an Autozone replacement camshaft position sensor. I replaced it in the driveway, and the Jeep's DTC's cleared on it's own, without me having to clear them manually. It started perfectly, and drove perfectly.

I assumed the problem was fixed, and still planned to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor, even thought the DTC had cleared.

Then, the next day, the Jeep popped all three of the ESP/BAS, Traction Control, and ABS lights. I'm assuming this is unrelated, just throwing all the information out there in case someone sees a correlation. The hubs have been making the tired humming, and they (and the wheel speed sensors) are at 100k+ miles since their last replacement.

So, I bought new Hubs and Wheel Speed Sensors, and planned to replace those as well.

Then, two days later, the Jeep again popped the Code P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 1, Sensor 1. Initially, I'm just assuming, as other's have noted in these threads, that the Jeep doesn't like non-oem sensors. The jeep again struggles to crank and start, and is stuck in the same limp mode as before. So, I bought an OEM MOPAR Camshaft Position Sensor to install.

But with this second round of Camshaft Position Sensor DTC, I'm also getting the following:

P0116: Engine Cooling Temperature Sensor Performance
P0128: Thermostat Rationality
P0300: Multiple Cylinder Misfire

So, I bought a new thermostat as well.

If you've read this far, these are my questions at this point:

1. Is the vehicle overheating, and I don't know about it because of a bad ECT and Thermostat?

2. Is this overheating killing the Camshaft Position Sensor? Or is it just a bad autozone part, and the MOPAR sensor will fix it?

3. Should I do something other than replacing the Camshaft Position Sensor, ECT and Thermostat with MOPAR parts, and starting it up?

4. Is the multiple cylinder misfire code a result of the extended cranking to try to start, or is there a deeper problem?

5. I'm also aware of the oil galley bolt STAR bulletin... if none of these replacements work, I'll look into those...

My plan right now is to limp it to my shop, and replace the CPS, ECT, thermostat, hubs and wheel speed sensors. Hopefully this fixes everything. But if someone sees a specific order to do these repairs, or something else to fix first, I'd like to not install sensors just for them to fail again.

If you've had similar compound, complex sensor troubleshooting, any advice would be great! If you're experiencing the same things, hopefully the comments here and my follow-up posts will help you out in the future.

Last edited by cyruspura; Today at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 3.8L Camshaft Position Sensor and Cooling Troubleshooting