Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2001 hummer H1 VS 2014 jku Sahara

Old 09-29-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it if you like it. I have driven a few 4x4 I like several different makes. The H1 seems kind of wide for narrow trails would depend on where you use it I suppose. I had a daily driver H3 Alpha nothing compared to H1. Was a great daily driver with the v8 had a rear locker and while I normally took my old YJ off road then the Lil H3 did well on the trails.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine owns one and I drove it a few times. First thing I noticed was this rocking effect when the H1 came to a stop. It was essentially the "play" in the drive line from the brakes to the wheels. Next, he had gone through brakes about every 15,000 miles. Next, he had a diesel which surprisingly gets better mpg than my JKUR. But, at around 20 second time from 0-60, it is a bitch to drive in areas with a lot of traffic. Your only saving grace is people being afraid to hit the thing. Next, his central tire inflation system was constantly being worked on. Anytime you have air fittings spinning at that speed for long periods of time, you will be working on it often. The room isn't real "roomy" in the way of leg room. The ride is OK, nothing marvelous. He also had a few electrical problems here and there. All fixed under warranty. But, when he saw what was submitted under warranty, he was nervous about fixing this out of the warranty. I seem to recall around $4k for the electrical repairs. Next, the sheer size of the thing. Forget jeep trails or anything close to jeep in width. It's just too wide and also has a poor turning radius. I could never get the thing to do a 1 shot u turn in a intersection unless there were 3 lanes on the other side. I also lost interest when I tried to go through a bank drive through. It didn't fit, I had to find a spot where there were no other cars parked and when I did park, both sides of the rig were on the lines.

What I did like? Pulling a 11,000+lbs. trailer through the mountains and maintaining 60mph, which seemed to be the magical top speed, pulling a trailer or not. I did get it to 75 but it took a while and was descending a grade. I like the size but it is a pain to maneuver, particularly in traffic. It's a head turner for sure and you get lots of questions everywhere you go. I used it to pull out a sizable Kubota Back Hoe which an F250 couldn't get out. I believe this was sheer physics. The H1 was much heavier and simply had better traction. The F250 was sliding and spinning too much, so that's a plus, I guess.

In all, I still want one and would have it as a "Sunday driver". I definitely wouldn't use it as my DD. And, if you have concern for the cost of owning a Jeep, you don't even want to get involved with the H1. Even the better mpg of the diesel, it's offset as diesel is more expensive. The difference is negligible. It's the repairs and availability of parts that will get you. Nothing on that thing is cheap. The size specific tires, engine components, electrical, even the air filter. All cost slightly more than the parts for my Land rover, and they too were not cheap. I paid $680 for a new Bosch alternator for my Landy and complained. My buddy laughed and said he had me beat at $900 for his in the H1.

As the saying goes, if you have to ask how much it cost, you probably can't afford it. This phrase essentially means, if you have concern, don't buy it. If money is no object, go for it. I would rather deck out my JKUR and buy another toy, or two, that is more reliable than have an H1.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've lived out of HMMWV's, very capable vehicle but I hate them with a passion. If I ever got a good deal on one I'd turn it into a COE.

Quick Reply: 2001 hummer H1 VS 2014 jku Sahara