Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

20" Wheel Question

Old 12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Wheel Question

I've had my '10 wrangler for over a year now and can't believe I haven't gotten onto any forums until now!

Anyway, I found some sweet 20" wheels I want. My question: can I fit the 20" wheels with 275/45R20 tires on the stock suspension without rubbing? I'd like to avoid having to lift it if possible.

Thank you much.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

The tire will roughly be 30x11r20. Now depending on the backspacing of the rim, you are most likely going to be fine running this setup.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by chizzam22
"... can I fit the 20" wheels with 275/45R20 tires on the stock suspension without rubbing? ...
You will find that most folks on this forum don't care for that style of a Jeep. We're more focused on off-roading, which is where the Jeep is king, and this combination you describe is entirely unsuitable for that purpose. We call them "mall crawlers". A better wheel/tire ratio is where the wheel is about half of the diameter of the tire--so if you're planning on 40" tires, a 20" wheel would be suitable. This provides protection for the wheel when you lower tire pressure to go off road.

Having said that, it's your Jeep, do as you please. I'm just giving you a heads up.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

First off, wheel offset will most important to determine what fits. You could run 16", 17", 18", 20", 22", 23", 24", 26", 28" or even 30" wheels if you'd like. With the wrong offset your wheels will either be tucked in too much or stick out too much and possibly rub on bumpers, suspension components (etc.). You need a tire that will measure 32" to not throw off your speedometer. If you don't care about the speedometer, I'd go with a tire that measures closer to 33". I personally would go with 305/55R20 tire size. It measures to about 33.5". I think (don't know for sure though, that these should fit without a lift with some minor trimming. I have 20x9 KMC XD Series Addict wheels. The offset is -12mm based on what I read on the forums about this "magic number" of 4.5" backspacing. I wish I would've done the other, less aggressive offset that was offered. My setup sticks out past the stock fenders at least 1-2". I'm running 325/60R20 tires which measure to a little over 35.6". I currently have a Teraflex 2.5" Spring lift to "fit" the wheel/tire package. After the pinch seam was cut, it fit. But, I didn't like the ride quality so I'm (this Monday) having the lift changed to the AEV 3.5" premium kit. You're not gonna ge a lot of help on the forums when you mention 20's and a Wrangler. I think it's kind of funny. When I saw your thread I was like oh boy, here we go again. I hope that some of this information helped. No everyone wants to hear (over and over again) that you have to have 40's to run 20's.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the tire you are considering is similar to a stock size tire a wheel with stock size and backspace should be fine. The stock wheel has 6.25 inches of back space. If you get a wheel that is say 8 inches wide with something in the 5 inches of backspace you will be fine.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

x2 on what Mark said. Not my thing, but maybe these will help you out...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...rs-here-you-go

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ing-kit-for-jk

Old 01-08-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You will find that most folks on this forum don't care for that style of a Jeep. We're more focused on off-roading, which is where the Jeep is king, and this combination you describe is entirely unsuitable for that purpose. We call them "mall crawlers". A better wheel/tire ratio is where the wheel is about half of the diameter of the tire--so if you're planning on 40" tires, a 20" wheel would be suitable. This provides protection for the wheel when you lower tire pressure to go off road.

Having said that, it's your Jeep, do as you please. I'm just giving you a heads up.
I was on the fence about getting 20s. The "heckling" i think has pushed me over. I go out to Colorado whenever I can for hiking/jeeping...have been for about 6 years now. I've got my eyes on some 18s as well.

Thanks for the insight...and no worries, I'm aware of the general feeling toward urban Jeeps on this forum. a couple months ago I saw an all-white Rubicon...hard top, spare cover, everything was white. It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Here is my 18"...

Little bit o lift though...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Little bit o lift though...[/QUOTE]

How much lift? 2", 3"?

Looks good by the way...
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 PM