Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

20 inch rims?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 inch rims?

with 20x9 inch rims how much more expensive are 37 inch tires gonna be them tires on 18 inch rims? thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

About $100 more per tire - depending on brand.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn that would add up alot over the years. just curious tho, wouldnt a bigger rim mean less rubber being used therefore making the tires cheaper to produce
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
with 20x9 inch rims how much more expensive are 37 inch tires gonna be them tires on 18 inch rims? thanks

If you are planning on doing any off-roading you are not gonna want 20's. Larger sidewall allows for better grip. If you're just going for look and mall-crawl, 20's are just what you need.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn that would add up alot over the years. just curious tho, wouldnt a bigger rim mean less rubber being used therefore making the tires cheaper to produce
Not necessarily.... I have 2 theory's for this.....

(a) Less people have that size rims, therefore they have to charge you more to offset the cost of the molds.... Less tires sold=charge more money... More tires sold=charge less money

(b) Bigger rims cost more, so that means they can charge more!!! hahaha
Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

As a bridgestone employee, I can tell you that a bigger rim requires a bigger/ more specialized machine. The standard sizes are run all the time and can be transferred from machine to machine much more easily. Yes less rubber ...but much bigger beads and heavier beads which is harder on the people making them thus they are more expensive.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

damn really wanted those black srt8 rims man. 20 wit 37's would still give me more sidewall then my stock rubis and thats more then enough sidewall. anyone got pics of 20s on 35s
Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

The sidewalk needs to be stronger making it cost more. Besides 20 inch wheels wheel get scratched up off road and not let you air down to what you could get off a smaller wheel.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

i mean i want the 20's for when i AM on the road which is about 80% of the time. i dont do any rock crawling so i think the risk is worth all of those looks that sum black 20's on 37inch tires on a lifted black jeep will get . but i completly respect why alot of you guys like the smaller rims.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

I have been doing a lot of research on 20s as well, i think if it is done correct it can look great, it will firm up the ride a little bit, and i do not plan on rock crawling....as for sidewall you can easily equal and/or exceed the stock sidewall of 18" with little modification.

My only fear is looking getto which i have seen some people do.

After looking at thousands of pictures and asking everyone i could questions i decided to go with 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers and 20x9 XD cranks.
They are going to end up being a little bigger then 33"s with a 12" footprint and just about the same sidewall as a stock 18".

Ordered them friday.... A little nervous because it was a huge investment but we shall see.

i will have pictures up in a week.

Quick Reply: 20 inch rims?