Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2" Spacer vs Coil suspension

Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" Spacer vs Coil suspension

Hey guys i've been looking at lift kits and decided for my needs i want to get the BDS 2" lift for my '12 JKU. because 2" is the max I can go without voiding my warranty. I live on Long Island so theres not many trails or spots to go wheeling it's mostly a DD with a decent amount of highway miles/day with the occasional small trail and beach trails. So the main question is that theres a $300 different between the two and i want to know if the coils really make a substantial difference. They both look like complete kits to me the only difference being with or without the coil spring. Anybody have experiences with both routes have any opintions?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by High altitude
Hey guys i've been looking at lift kits and decided for my needs i want to get the BDS 2" lift for my '12 JKU. because 2" is the max I can go without voiding my warranty. I live on Long Island so theres not many trails or spots to go wheeling it's mostly a DD with a decent amount of highway miles/day with the occasional small trail and beach trails. So the main question is that theres a $300 different between the two and i want to know if the coils really make a substantial difference. They both look like complete kits to me the only difference being with or without the coil spring. Anybody have experiences with both routes have any opintions?
If you're planning on keeping the jeep and your installing the lift yourself go 2.5 budget boost or 2.5 coil. They will never know the difference.that way if you do plan on keeping you can always disconnect later on and or get a driveshaft.
Pic of a perfect example of my neighbors 2012 Sahara and 2.5 with 1.25 BL and 35's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1638412781.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	424962  
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by High altitude
Take the voiding of warranty with a grain of salt unless you have a mod friendly shop and a service writer who backs you up. Since you deal with light trails and mostly beach sand a coil lift and added flex is over kill. If you go with a spacer puck lift, and are happy with your current springs, your street ride will be similar. The change with the higher center of gravity & higher roll center will increase your stock road characteristics. That is,if you had body roll, you'll still have it: nose dive will still be there. Just a little more pronounced.

If heavy bumpers, winch & armor are in the future, then springs make a better choice.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 02-21-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2" Spacer vs Coil suspension