Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 sets of tires and rims

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 sets of tires and rims

Hello all
My jeep jku is my daily driver and my offroader on weekends/time off
I do a lot of highway driving during the week in my commute so this is my question
I have stock tires and rims on my jeep now and I want to upgrade to something more aggressive tire wise
Should I get 2 sets of tires and rims one for on road and one for off or should I do the daily drive on the off road tires. I've heard if you do that the offroaders wear out fast. If I get 2 sets of wheels will it throw off my alignment when I switch them and do I have to get it aligned every time. Money isn't a big deal as far as buying a second set of wheels (im not swimming in cash but will pay the extra money for quality). Also if I lift my jeep in the future and put lets say 35" on should I also look into doing the same (one set for on road and one set for off)
I know this might be a newb question but I couldn't find a definitive answer throughout the forum
Also any tire and rim suggestions for the upgrade would be great. Would love to have a set of rims that I can go from stock size to a larger 33 or 35 when i finally lift my jeep if possible (Donno if that would work another newb question)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I would go with one set. because of your paying for 2 then just save the money for when they need replacing. and the offroad tires look way better also!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Put some Duratracs on the stock tires for now, and by the time they wear or start making too much noise you can ditch them and get new ones. Having 2 sets I believe is a heavy task taking them on and off....on and off.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I know quite a few of old-school wheelers who do that exact setup. They have a relatively mild set of tires and wheels to get them to and from work, and then a bad-ass set of IROK's or similar for when they do take their Jeeps off-road.

Seems like it would make sense to do it that way, but like you mentioned - you're buying two sets of tires and wheels. If you have the coin at the moment - why not?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smelt_1
Put some Duratracs on the stock tires for now, and by the time they wear or start making too much noise you can ditch them and get new ones. Having 2 sets I believe is a heavy task taking them on and off....on and off.
This is probably the best approach.

I ran two sets of tires on my TJ, but it was still a pain to go back and forth. Tire technology today is getting much better and you can have best of both world options.

When you get to 35's, Sams Club sells a great tire for 250 each (17" rim). There are no cheap options once you get above 35's.

I was going to buy duratracs for my Tunda but they were over 350 each. I bought the new falken wild peaks for 250 each. Not as good a tire off-road, but still fine for a daily driver.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the feedback, im really liking the dura tracs, ive read a bunch of reviews and people are raving about them. Do u guys know if they make a size that fits on my stock 17s with no spacers. My current size is 255/75r17. Would 245/75r17 fit?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2 dr 09 X My stock tires are SR-A 255/75R17 I just researched for a month and went back and forth about what to do. I ordered the Dura Tracs 285/70/17. They should work on stock rims thats what i will use for now. No lift or change in back spacing. When I get them this Wed I will update if they rub or not, from what I read they will be fine. Maybe just a touch on the plastic airdam when going full lock in reverse! PS got them for $257 a piece then all 5 mounted, balanced stems yada yada yada $1500 OTD! I was happy with the price. I hope this helps!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imustbenuts
I have a 2 dr 09 X My stock tires are SR-A 255/75R17 I just researched for a month and went back and forth about what to do. I ordered the Dura Tracs 285/70/17. They should work on stock rims thats what i will use for now. No lift or change in back spacing. When I get them this Wed I will update if they rub or not, from what I read they will be fine. Maybe just a touch on the plastic airdam when going full lock in reverse! PS got them for $257 a piece then all 5 mounted, balanced stems yada yada yada $1500 OTD! I was happy with the price. I hope this helps!
Thanks let me know how it goes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 AM
JK Newbie

when i went to buy my 35s checked around and at the time sams club was the best price, i went there talked to one of the guys that puts them on and was thinking about the duratracs or the MTRs/w kevlar but the guy said that the duratracks had softer tread then the MTRs and said even thought the MTRs were much more aggressive they would last longer. i have had the MTRs on for quite some time and i have not noticed hardly any tread gone.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got the tires on the Jeep!! Dura Trac 285/70R17 on stock rims. Went Wed to have them put on, they did the first wheel and then they called me and said I would need to get spacers! it was rubbing on the front sway bar at full lock and they would not put them on because of a safety hazard. Then I said Son of a @#$%^! Scrambled to find spacers, couldnt find them in person so I had to order them. Knew Quadratech would not let me down!!! Ordered them at 3pm on Wed by 9am Thur they were sitting on my door step! Of course had to have them over nighted!! $$$$ Spent Thur night after work putting them on, Spirdertrax 1.5 inch spacers. Went on great real easy, followed the instructions to the T. Was very happy they way the stock SR-A's looked on it with them. Dropped it back off at the shop and picked it up tonight. Looks friggin AWSOME! IMHO!!! No issues rubbing on anything going out to Rausch Creek on Wed to try them out! I will get some pictures up over the weekend when I have some sun and daylight!!!

Quick Reply: 2 sets of tires and rims